ARC 3 || 019 - She, The Empress Puppet

sorry for not updating

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unedited, some paragraphs may not read as smoothly. im sorry

Today was particularly warm.

Akagi sat on a bench in the garden at the back of his manor, working with, surprisingly, only a few documents. Usually he would get much more work than this, but since he had such little to do today, he decided he might as well get it done outside, and perhaps have a change of environment.

It wasn't a very tedious task, and Akagi was soon finished with it. Letting out a sigh, he turned his head to see a person approaching him. With his eye catching multicolored eyes and the insignia in his hair, Akagi recognized the man as Hasegawa.

"Akagi," Hasegawa started, halting a few steps away from the young lord of the manor.

Akagi stood up. "What's the matter this time?" He asked.

Hasegawa sighed, "I just received news that my father has returned." Continuing, he said, "I have to return quickly."

Akagi raised an eyebrow. "He came back so suddenly, and with no warning? What's that old man up to now?" Since their teenage years, Akagi had never been a fan of Young Lord Rokuro's father. He was a manipulative man, but also a workaholic who never spared time for his family.

Hasegawa's father reminded Akagi much of his own father, but at least his own father had spared him the feeling of being involved in his life. He left the day Akagi entered middle school, telling his mother, "I've raised him enough. Whether he can survive without me is his own problem."

Akagi thought it was quite ironic. His father had never even called him by name, yet he dared to say that he raised him?

Hasegawa knew what the young lord was thinking about, and gave a simple smile. He didn't comment on it.

Hasegawa said, "Keep an eye on Shizuki and Mei Yonagi for me. I won't have as much influence over the public as before now that my father is back." He spoke. Hasegawa, being the oldest son in his family, took over the position of 'lord' in his household while his father was absent, yet everyone still referred to him as 'young lord'.

Akagi nodded. He wasn't the type of person to obediently follow whatever someone told him, but since he also planned on paying more attention to Shizuki and Mei, he agreed, "I will, then."

After his short meeting with Hasegawa, Akagi returned to his office. It was barely even half an hour, before he heard hasty footsteps from outside his room.

"Young Lord Hideaki!" A familiar servant burst through the door, her face filled with panic.

Akagi frowned, shaking his head. "Can you stop breaking the doors?"

"I'm sorry, young lord, but this is important!" Yuna said, "I need to tell you right now!"

The young lord raised an eyebrow. "Go ahead." He rested his chin on his hand. "So, what's so important that you'd have to break down my door?

Yuna quickly spoke, "I was just told. The Yasashii family wishes to propose an alliance!"

Akagi's hand, which was tracing the gold linings on the cover of a book, halted. He glanced up. "The Yasashii family and the Hideaki manor are rivals. What happened for them to suddenly want to do this?"

Yuna explained, "I heard some rumors. People have been mentioning that a neighboring kingdom seems to be on the verge of starting a war with us. As for which one, it seems that it's most likely to be the empire of Yevaria." Yuna was extremely nervous. The empress of Yevaria hadn't made an official appearance in many years, so they were not hostile nor friendly. Everyone was unsure of the opinion of the empire's ruler, but now, for the first time in many years, the empress finally stops laying low.

Yet, the first thing she does is plan to start a war?

If Yuna, a mere servant could think of this, then the young lord of the Hideaki manor certainly could too.

Akagi slowly murmured, "...So this is the reason the Yasashii family wishes to cooperate with us. Since their power in the military has dropped, they want to combine forces with us to help win the coming war."

He closed his eyes. "Send a letter to the Yasashii family. Tell them we accept."

***

Yamato flipped through an ancient book he had found in the manor's library. After a long time spent searching for it, he had finally managed to find it. Although it was covered in dust, he suspected it would be useful.

After his dream yesterday, he was determined to find more information about the person he had gained memories about. He immediately flipped to the page describing the royalty of Yevaria.

The book stated:

Bai Ren, the "dragon princess", was the princess of the empire of Yevaria. After the death of the Emperor and Empress, she ascended the throne and became the new empress. After many years, she still does not have an emperor.

The royal family of Yevaria had only one adopted child, Meng Shaoxing, the "golden prince". Before Empress Bai Ren's ascension to the throne, he mysteriously went missing. Nearly ever high official in the empire attempted to search for him, but he was never found.

All other information was useless, talking about past royalties before Bai Ren and Meng Shaoxing. Yamato silently closed the book.

Matsuyama wouldn't give me the memories of the empress for no reason.

He recalled, before he received the memories, he went to the town with Fuyu to buy medicinal herbs. While he was there, he overheard the owner of the store talking about the empress of Yevaria wanting to start a war with their kingdom.

"That damned empress hasn't made an appearance in so long, suddenly she just gets the idea of starting a war with us for no reason? What a joke! I knew she was demented from the start." The store owner had said.

Fuyu had calmly replied, "The royalty are unpredictable. You shouldn't worry yourself."

Yamato knew that an empress wouldn't stupidly cause a war out of nowhere- it was clear someone was controlling her actions.

He carefully placed the dusty book back where he had gotten it, and contemplated.

...Matsuyama should've received his letter by now.

***

"Emiko Chisaki reports to noble Lord Kenata. A letter from Yamato Akira has been sent from the Hideaki manor." A figure in black bowed, a hand on their chest. She presented a neatly folded envelope, with a purple colored crest on it.

Matsuyama Kenata nodded. "Give the letter to me."

Emiko handed the letter to him, and directly vanished right afterwards. As soon as she left, Kenata carefully opened the envelope, taking out the letter from inside of it.

His eyes scanned the words.

Matsuyama. Yesterday, I got a strange memory. A memory of someone of high status from Yevaria.

I believe I gained the memories of the empress, Bai Ren. However, do you think I'm stupid? It's clear that you're the one who gave this information to me. I know that she is being played like a puppet by her brother.

I don't know your relationship with the empress, but you clearly want me to do something about this. Whatever it is that you want me to do, you can discuss it with me.

Kenata softly laughed to himself. "...This went better than expected."

(a/n: I'll refer to kenata as matsuyama from now on)

Matsuyama suddenly spoke, "Emiko, go find the honor student of the academy, Renata. I'll need her presence if I wish to meet with both the Hideaki manor and the Yasashii family tomorrow."

Emiko had never really left, so she heard everything. Nodding to the order, she silently whispered something to Matsuyama.

He was silent, before nodding. "I'll keep a look out."

---

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting. It helps a lot! ╰(*°▽°*)╯