ARC 2 || 014 - The Witness

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by YiyuRu; not fully edited

a/n: this is a shorter chapter, since the original unedited one was also short

Passing period was soon over, and that was exactly what the young lord of the Yasashii manor wanted.

After that period, the hallways were generally empty, except for some students who were late or had come to the academy for reasons other than classes.

Kasamoto Yasashii stood in an empty hallway, his arms crossed and his face stern, "Miyake, you understood that messing with the Rokuro and the Hideaki family was not what we were ordered to do as of now." It wasn't a question, it was a statement. Kasamoto Yasashii has never asked someone a question, he learnt by being wrong, and then by being corrected.

This was the way of the Yasashii family, and the way that the future lord would be taught.

Miyake responded, "Everyone sees our family as righteous and bold; it is required for us to act as whatever the public perceives us as."

Kasamoto was infuriated, but as a young lord, he forcefully suppressed it. This was his own sister, after all.

"We are powerful enough to do anything we desire in public without backlash, Miyake." He said.

Miyake didn't respond, but her lips hooked up into a sarcastic, mocking smile. This was enough as answer to Kasamoto.

He reached inside of his coat and twisted out a small pocket knife, infusing the blade with fire, his element.

Kasamoto mastery of his element had reached a level that was practically a dream for the commoners, but it was still below Renata, the most prized student of the academy, by a single level.

He made a motion with his hand, manipulating the air around him to accurately aim the blade at Miyake.

The knife was sent flying through the air, purposely missing the only daughter of the Yasashii family's head by a hairs length. Miyake saw the blade coming for her, and caught it by the hilt. Kasamoto had purposely slowed down the knife so she would be able to catch it- it was only meant as a threat, and he did not intend to injure her.

Miyake uninterestedly twirled the blade around with her finger, and once she had enough of it, stabbed it into the ground.

Kasamoto's eyes slightly narrowed. "Younger sister Miyake, this situation can not be handled lightly. Our reputation is already slightly tarnished from the evil deeds of our ancestors, we are lucky to even keep our status as the children of a marquess."

Miyake huffed, "Don't act like you're some good, rule-abiding, kind saint, eldest brother, and don't even try to act like you're some benevolent deity, because we both know that isn't true."

"Hah, don't even dare to act like you weren't the one who slit our mother's throat!" She laughed in disbelief, "You can't lie to me, elder brother. I saw it, every moment of it."

Kasamoto closed his eyes, a frown on his face.

"Why must you bring up the past, Miyake?" He asked, but didn't intend to let her answer, "I could kill you right now. We both know that I am much stronger than you in terms of our elemental powers."

"If you were to kill me, the witness wouldn't let it go, would they?" Miyake shot back.

He paused. "The witness?"

"Of course. The witness, the person just around the corner." Miyake's gaze swerved over to the end of the hallway, and the young lord followed her gaze.

A strand of long, black hair was all he saw before it vanished.

Fuck.

Kasamoto should've thought of it, he should've considered the fact that this hallway, although rarely visited, would still have a small amount of students pass by.

In fact, although he and Miyake talked quietly, who knew whether that witness had the ability of strengthened hearing? If so, his words would have been crystal clear.

But it wasn't like Miyake didn't know the full story behind why he had murdered their mother. She knew that if she asked him about it while pretending that she did not know why he had done so, any person who passes by would conclude that he, Kasamoto, was a murderer.

A criminal.

Kasamoto stared angrily at the girl with wide eyes, "You dare blackmail me?" He could barely suppress his frustration and anger, but put it aside again, only quickly walking over to the end of the hallway, which connected to another hallway.

But he simply saw nothing; that student had already left.

Suddenly, he felt a sharp blade pierce through his chest. Kasamoto was not prepared, coughing up blood and staining the ground with bright red. He turned his head around, meeting the murderous gaze of his younger sister.

"You know this-" Kasamoto coughed, another large amount of blood spilled out, "-won't kill me, don't you, Miyake?"

Miyake smiled. "Of course I know. Elder brother, I'll see you later."

The young lord of the Yasashii manor lost consciousness, at the mercy of his younger sister.

It was night time, the moon's light spilled into a familiar window.

"Emiko Chisaki reports to the young lord of the Kenata manor, Matsuyama Kenata." A girl with long black hair and amethyst eyes said. She closed her eyes, bowed, and presented the boy a voice recording device in her hand.

"Emiko, what's in this?" Matsuyama smiled; He raised an eyebrow out of curiosity, elegantly wiping his mouth with a handkerchief to get rid of the crumbs of the cake he was eating. His silver-white hair gleamed from the moonlight, making him all the more majestic and enchanting.

Emiko didn't answer, simply handing the device to the golden-eyed male, who carefully inspected the tape.

Matsuyama's smile visibly widened after hearing the recording, which was designed by him to specifically heavily enhance the volume of whatever was recorded. This was why although the two people talking were relatively quiet, he could hear everything, crystal clear.

He laughed, his beautiful eyes curved into crescents.

"What a treasure I've gained."

---

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting. It helps a lot! ╰(*°▽°*)╯