007 - Wearing A Mask, Mei Yonagi Breaks Her Façade

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by YiyuRu

I changed the perspective of the book from first person to third person. Please correct any mistakes in perspective that Yiyu was unable to correct.

Yamato was once again in the town, but only accompanied by Ruka, and now Yuna. Young lord Akagi had stayed back at the manor to handle private business. The last trip they made, they had to buy groceries for the manor's kitchen staff, but were interrupted because of Sakura.

Yamato rubbed the underside of his eyes tiredly. Even after getting a good night's rest, he still felt rather tired from dealing with the troublesome pink haired girl.

"The list the staff brought me says we need to get eight cartons of eggs, a few loaves of bread, and a small box of muffins." Yuna said, reading off the list in her hand, "Blueberry muffins, specifically."

Muffins seem quite out of place, doesn't it?

Ruka seemed to catch sight of what Yamato was thinking about. "Hideaki doesn't like to admit, but he likes sweets, like muffins," She chuckled, "What do you like, dears? I'll buy some stuff for you both as well. It's on me."

"Mrs. Ruka Hideaki, you really don't need to," Yuna started.

"No! Tell me what type of food you like, I'll buy it!" Ruka declared, cutting off Yuna's sentence. "We are not short of money."

"I like... Ah, what's the name again? It was macaroni and cheese, if I remember correctly." Hesitantly, Yuna recalled her favorite food to Ruka.

"No problem," Ruka turned her gaze to Yamato, "What do you like?"

I don't think this place has tteokbokki, nor sushi.

"Sushi..?" Yamato asked, quietly. "Maybe tteokbokki.."

"Oh, do you want both?" Ruka asked.

"No-"

"Both it is then." Ruka smiled.

This place has both tteokbokki and sushi? Mizuki really had me in mind while designing this game.

They all walked to a small grocery shop at the corner, led by Ruka. As Yamato entered it, the bells above the door let out a crisp jingle.

As Ruka was finding the items on the list, Yamato made small talk with the servant, Yuna.

"Thank you for saving me," Yamato politely thanked Yuna.

Yuna nodded, smiling ever-so-slightly. "It's my pleasure, Sir Akira," She responded. There was no burden in saving the purple haired boy, and Yuna felt rather grateful that she made the decision to help him. Yuna believe they would be good friends if they talked more.

While Yuna was lost in her thoughts, Ruka Hideaki walked up to to the both of them, holding two bags. "Your food, dears," Ruka beamed, handing Yamato and Yuna both one bag.

"Thank you, Mrs. Ruka Hideaki." Yuna thanked her, bowing slightly.

Yamato nodded to Ruka, a small smile graced his lips to show his thanks.

"Come, let's head back now." Ruka waved her hand towards them, signaling for them to follow. As Yamato exited the shop, the bells above the door rung again, and a person ran up to him, newspaper in hand.

"Good evening, misses' and mister," the rather young boy said, "would you like to see the latest news? I guarantee that it'll be quite the shocker!" The newspaper boy exclaimed, extending his hand; the one that gripped the newspaper.

Yuna gently grabbed one from the boy and examined the papers. "Thank you, sir," She said.

The newspaper boy nodded repeatedly, clearly very happy. "You're welcome! Have a nice day!" The boy happily said, before running off to give a newspaper to another person.

Yamato watched the boy leave, in thought. This little kid, who was evidently much younger than him at around fourteen years of age, ran around, excitedly handing people newspapers.

To be this happy all the time, he must have a good life.

After the boy left, Yuna examined the papers once more, before giving a rather cold looking frown, "It seems young lord Hideaki's plan has worked. That strange pink haired girl is everywhere on the news," Yuna said.

Ruka snatched the newspaper from Yuna. It was barely a second before the woman realized she had done something rude, and quickly apologized to the servant, before skimming through the newspaper. "Hmm, it seems young lord Hideaki is an exact replica of his father." She pouted, "Tch, I wanted him to be more like me." Ruka frowned. "Sly and calculating, that man..."

Yuna reassuringly said to the woman, "Do not fret, Mrs. Ruka Hideaki, I'm sure the young lord Hideaki still loves his mother."

Ruka hmphed, "I doubt that!" She argued, before turning her head away.

There was a brief moment of silence between the three before:

"Hey!" A familiar voice shouted from behind them. Yamato curiously turned around, to find that the girl from the day before, Mei Yonagi, was running towards them, holding a small, woven basket of flowers.

Mei caught up to the group, taking a moment to catch her breath, and clumsily moved the strands of pale blonde hair away from her face. Smiling, she said, "We've met again, Akira and Ruka!" Mei exclaimed. "Is this the decision of fate?"

Yuna, standing beside Ruka and Yamato, froze, her expression full of shock and disbelief. "Ruka? You dare call the mother of the young lord by her first name, and not even formally?" Yuna spoke in disgust, "As expected of a person like you, a commoner. No manners, what a fool!"

Yamato turned his gaze to the servant, a brunette, and then back to Mei in confusion, who showed a rather surprised expression. It wasn't long before Mei spoke in a wronged voice, "I apologize, Ruka allowed me to call her such." Her eyes watered with unshed tears, a hand placed on her chest. "I don't understand why you'd say such evil words to me, when I am in the right."

For some reason, I feel as if her words feel wrong.

Mei lightly grabbed onto Yamato's sleeve, who stood right beside her. "You witnessed Ruka allow me to call her by name, didn't you? And just now, you saw this servant twist my words. Nobles, ah, really have no manners!" The unshed tears from before spilled out now, "Please help fight for my justice, Akira. It is the right thing to do!"

"...." Yamato did not respond. Why should he get himself more involved in something like this?

"Dear, I'm sure my servant, Yuna, did not know about my permission. Please forgive her, as she was simply just protecting my pride and reputation," Ruka said, as nicely as possible.

Mei frowned, retorting, "Overreacting? How am I overreacting? Even if she didn't know about your permission, she still looked down upon my status as a commoner. That, in itself, is already wrong in the eyes of the people."

You also insulted her as a noble, how hypocritical.

Yamato gingerly pushed Mei away himself. "Please don't stay too close."

The girl instantly gripped back onto his sleeve, "I love you, Akira. Won't you help me?!" Mei shouted.

We... just met two days ago.

"What did he say that you didn't understand?! Are you deaf, or do you just not speak the same tongue as we do?" Yuna instantly shot back. "He is not obliged to help you, in fact, he would be more obliged to help me instead. Who would support the words of a green tea bitch?"

Yamato closed his eyes. He wondered if he could force himself to fall asleep right at that very moment so he wouldn't have to deal with this.

---

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting. It helps a lot! ╰(*°▽°*)╯