Chapter Twenty-Four

"Come again?" Roxanne gasped, her eyes wide.

    "Nevermi-," Maddie whispered, digging her head into her pillow.

    "No, it's just like... holy shit. It's about time," Roxanne laughed but Maddie's head stayed inside of the pillow. "Lighten up, it's not the end of the world Mads."

     She groaned from inside of the pillow and flipped onto her back dramatically.

    "We're just friends, this is stupid. I don't like him," Maddie said aloud, but she was mostly trying to convince herself. 

    " 'Just friends' don't look at each other like that."

    "This isn't some bloody romance novel," Maddie fought back. 

    "Well you sure as hell make it seem like one," Roxanne started, "James would give you the world if you asked. Then you go around following him with this look in your eyes like he's the prettiest damn thing you've ever seen."

    "I...I think I'm going to go to bed..." Maddie mumbled after what seemed like an eternity of silence. 

    "I don't understand you Maddie, stop ignoring your emotions." 

     "So what if I like him Rox? He doesn't like me, he just likes to tease me because that's easy and fun for him."

    "You are so bloody oblivious."

    "Goodnight Roxanne," Maddie whispered, pulling their books of her bed and tucking herself in. But Maddie didn't sleep much.

    That week went by fast, and Maddie did exactly what Roxanne said she does, ignoring her emotions. 

    "Welcome, welcome ladies and gents," Fred spoke as he let a few friends in the Gryffindor common room. 

     By the time it was eleven, their small group of friends slowly but surely made their way to the Room of Requirement, the sound of glass bottles and cans clanking together as they tip-toed down the hall past hours.

    James told stories of what his dad did in there, saving people and all. Ironically, they used the room to get drunk or high. Guess that's what happens when kids can actually be kids. 

    Chasity and Maddie took no time in getting themselves comfortable on the dance floor, after several shots of whatever burning liquid Fred handed them. 

    Fred on the other hand had found himself rolling himself and Walter a joint. 

    Roxanne claimed herself "designated watcher", wanting to stay sober to keep her friends out of trouble. 

    Before it was one, the room smelled strongly of alcohol and weed, one that even Roxanne found a bit comforting at times. 

    "Maddie, Maddie, Madelyn" James called out, trying to get the blonde girls attention as she sung some muggle song with a bottle of some type of Vodka and a glass in her hand. 

    "Yes my Jamie?" she answered back, giggling with every step closer towards his general direction. 

    "Come do me a favor and beat these bitches at beer pong." 

    With a slightly concentrated face, Maddie had no problem beating both Fred and Walter.

     "See, that's just so hot," James gestured.

     "It is sooo hot," Maddie whined, not getting what he meant but suddenly thinking it was time to undress herself to fix the heat. 

    As if in slow motion Maddie's drunken hands went for her shirt, ready to lift it up, all three boys eyes wide in surprise and anticipation. 

    "Turn, turn," James hissed, telling them all to look away in some attempt to avert their eyes but not a single moved, but James who covered his eyes with his fingers but very clearly poked to watch. 

   Suddenly, Roxanne stomped over, cursing.

    "You bloody dipshit, we're fucking wizards, if it's hot we can use magic. This isn't a bloody strip club," she scolded as she made sure her friend remained clothed. 

   "But I'm not, I'm not in Ravenclaw for a reason," Maddie suddenly cried out, seeming very distressed.

    "See, that's hot," Walter spoke out, gesturing at Roxannes outburst, which made her face turn scarlet and she simply dragged Maddie away.

    "I almost saw her naked guys, one step closer out of the friend zone," James yelled in triumph. 

    "You're not in the bloody friend zone you're in some maze," Chasity laughed as she hugged her blonde friend, who still seemed very upset that she wasn't in Ravenclaw. 

    "Do you think I'm dumb?" Maddie asked Roxanne, who looked at her and picked up a drink, deciding that she would need one to get through the night. 

   "Well do you?" Maddie decided to ask Chasity, to nodded her head no and petted her head. 

    "How about you Jamie?" 

    "Oh you're bloody brilliant," James answered without a second thought. 

    Not too long after, the group had migrated to the couch that was currently in the room. Roxanne was sitting on the couch, Chasity's feet laid ontop of her lap. Meanwhile Fred contently sat with Chasity's head on his, her going on about getting both the twins. 

    Walter sat near Fred, feeling relaxed and just enjoying the company. 

    And of course, Maddie was leaving no space between James, who was sitting on the floor. Maddie was staring deeply at his face, sitting almost on top of him. 

    Every person in the room could sense the tension that was between the two, which was something surprisingly new. 

    "Oh my god go fuck already," Fred shouted, making the two look surprised. 

     "No, sex is not cool," Maddie whined, "unless James thinks it's cool."

     "Maddie shut up you'll regret that in the morning," Roxanne warned.

      "Madelyn Amourette will never have a single regret as long as I am alive," she giggled, but Roxanne eyed her.

    "I'm just saying, I've never really wanted to have sex before. Oliver was cute but like, he would have totally been boring."

    "I'm not boring in bed," James piped up. 

    "I don't believe you," Maddie scoffed with a teasing tone.

    "I'll prove it," James laughed.

    "In my dreams," Maddie replied.

    "You mean in MY dreams?" 

    "Sure, sure," Maddie responded and the whole group watched in horror and anticipation on what the two could possibly say next. 

   "Madelyn Amourtte, are you in love with me?" James asked suddenly, almost seeming sober enough to comprehend the question. 

    "What is love!! Baby don't hurt me-," Maddie began to sing, not even realizing what he asked her. James tackled her in response, in an attempt to shush her. 

    Maddie was suddenly aware of the situation, her pinned to the floor, James on top of her. He grinned at her, his breath smelling of beer and mint. 

    The position, the grin, it was all too much for her. So naturally, she took her knee up and kneed him in the groin.

    "What in the hell?" Fred yelled out as James collapsed onto the floor, everyone but James laughing. 

    "James, Jamie my dear," Maddie called out between laughs, but he laid against the floor, no response.

    "I think you should get your ears pierced," Maddie suggested.