Chapter Twenty

When Maddie woke up, her head began to pound and she felt sweat drip down her body. Her eyes flashed open, her eyelashes groggily fluttered opened and she groaned. She looked around the room, noticed it was James, then remembering last night. 

    Her stomach became to churn as she remembered what happened with Oliver. She rushed to the bathroom and held her head above the toilet, but nothing came out. 

   "Maddie?" James called as he walked into an empty dorm. His eyes flashed to the sound of her breathing heavily, sitting on the bathroom floor. He rushed over and held her in his arms.

    "Are you sick?" 

    Maddie shook her head no in response, turning and nuzzling her head into him for a moment, before standing up. 

  "I don't understand what I did wrong," Maddie said.

   "You didn't do a thing wrong, what did he say?" 

   Maddie internally cringed at the question, knowing she couldn't tell him why. 

   "Roxannes worried about you, she wondered why you never got to the dorm. I didn't tell her what's wrong, thought you wanted to tell her." Maddie nodded, picking up her huge dress from the dorm floor and began to make her way out. 

    "Thank you James."

     "Of course."

     Maddie looked back at James, who smiled at her sadly, and she smiled back before leaving. 

    "Oh my god, Maddie are you okay?" Roxanne asked as Maddie entered their dorm.

    "I'm fine, just spent the night with James, needed his help. Uhm, Oliver broke up with me."

     "That little git, well I'll-," Roxanne started, but Maddie rushed in.

    "No, no, it's alright. He wasn't mean."

    Roxanne nodded her head, though he was a little confused. 

   "You gonna talk to me about it?"

   "Not yet," Maddie mumbled, taking herself into her friends arms.

    James felt his skin burn under the hot shower water, trying to rinse off any hint of alcohol or bad memories from the night before. By the time he got out and dressed himself for the surprisingly  quiet Saturday, a small knock was heard from the entrance of the common room. 

   James nodded a quick word and opened up it up to see Oliver, standing nervously.

    "I'm sorry," Oliver started, nervously muttering.

    "Get out." 

     "James I-,"

    "Oliver I said to leave. Now is not a good time for a single one of Maddie's friends to see your face."

    "-I wanted to check on her, make sure she's okay," Oliver mustered the strength to say.

     "Honestly, she's really fucked up right now. Spent the night drunk and crying, this morning found her crying on the bathroom floor. She really liked you, you know?"

    "She didn't tell you did she?" 

    James furrowed his eyebrows together but Oliver nodded his head.

    "I'm sorry, I never wanted to hurt her. I really like her. Build her back up, dance with her," Oliver said before leaving. 

    James stood in the doorway for a minute, confused and unsure.