Chapter Thirty-One

"Should we tell your parents?" Maddie whispered aggressively, nervously twirling the ends of her hair. 

     "Last week you didn't even want to tell Roxy, you sure are moving fast," James teased, but Maddie furrowed her eyebrows. 

     "James- what- what if they kick me out? This is my only home, my only family," Maddie rambled. 

     "Maddie, they would never do that to you. They love you like you're their own. And I would never let them kick you out either, I love you." 

    Maddie's heart skipped a beat at those words. She knew that James loved her, but it had never meant love like that before, at least that she knew. 

     "Promise?" Maddie asked. 

    "Pinky promise," James grinned and enlaced their pinkies, kissing her pinky gently. Maddie smiled and laid her head on James shoulder, the two enjoying the sunrise in the garden nearly a mile away from the Potter's house. 

     "Do you really think we should tell them?" Maddie asked, worry lacing her voice. 

    "Mads, it's completely up to you, okay? If you want them to know, we tell them. If you want to keep it from them, they won't know," James said, his eyes meeting hers. 

    "I just don't want them to know yet. In case things don't work out or-," 

    "Oh in case?" James scoffed, "Sweetheart you are stuck with me, there's no not working things out now." 

     Maddie smiled and slowly met his lips, kissing him before turning back to the sun. 

——

     "Okay kids, we are going now. Owl me if you need anything, please! Maddie, you are in charge. Than Albus, than Lily, than James," Ginny said, pointing at each kid, causing everyone to snicker but James. 

      "Alright, love you kids, we will be back on the fourth, don't let Freddie trash the house," Harry warned, ruffling the top go James head, even though James now stood over both of his parents in height. 

     "Do you guys need more money for food? Anything else? If it gets too cold-," Ginny began to ramble.

    "Merlin, you sound like Molly, let's get you out of here," Harry commented, taking Ginny by the hand. Ginny leaned over and kissed every kid on the forehead before leaving, a grin spreading on each kids face once they left. 

    Maddie and James were now nearly seventeen, Albus being sixteen, and Lily fifteen. 

      "So Lily, are you ready for your first Potter party?" James grinned. 

      "What makes you think this is my first party?" Lily bit back, causing James eyes to widen and she laughed. "Only joking." 

    By seven o'clock, the house was full with teenagers and music. The smell of alcohol and weed mixed with pizza filled Maddie's senses. 

     "Your parents would kill us!" Maddie shouted over the music, looking at James who had a soft smile on his face, holding a blunt in his fingers. 

    "Shh you stress too much," James laughed, offering her a hit. She nodded her head and took it into her lips, inhaling the sour feeling smoke and feeling her body relax. 

     "You two, I have been looking for y'all," Roxy said, putting her arm around Maddie's shoulder. "Will you come dance with me, please?" 

    Maddie nodded her head and the two made way to the living room, where the music was pumping into the air and people sat on the couches, or danced, or just talked. 

    The night seemed to go on forever, time slowing down as everyone had a mixture of different things in their body. 

     "You look so pretty," James said, finding Maddie for the first time in hours. He had been looking for her a bit, but it felt like a wild goose chase. She turned to him with wild eyes, her pupils dilated and the smell of sticky alcohol traced her breathe. 

    "Noo, you do," She giggled. James looked at her with a smile, and Maddie wrapped her arms around him. 

     "You know, I've been looking for you for a while."

     "I'm right here, silly." 

    James sighed, grabbing a bottle out of Maddie's hand and setting it down. 

   "Hey-,"

    "That's enough for you, let's have some water," James said gently, leading her to the kitchen. 

    "No the party is just starting! I'm strong," Maddie detested. 

    "Taking the bottle away from the baby?" Freddie asked, his hand wrapped in Chastity's. 

    "No, I'm not a baby, Fred." Maddie responded. 

   "We are just rehydrating before we do anything else," James winked at Fred, him nodding. 

    "I am fully hydrated! Just not on water." 

    Chasity laughed, "You are such a good boyfriend James, I wouldn't be able to argue with that logic." 

    "Trust me, it's hard," James chuckled, handing a glass of water to Maddie, who made a funny face at it before gulping it down.

"Can we dance now?" Maddie asked. James nodded his head and led her out to the garden. Music was lightly playing from inside, the moon high in the sky. 

    The two danced slowly together as the party began to end.