Chapter Thirteen

The world seemed silent for a moment. James looked down at Maddie, her eyes cold. And she looked up at him, scared. But then the world went back into place. Oliver was being taken to the nurse. Maddie dropped her broom and swiftly followed with. 

    James watched her disappear with Oliver and a swarm of nurses, along with a few Slytherin players. 

    "You alright?" Fred asked, grabbing his friend by the shoulder. James looked at him, and handed his friend his broken bat before flying down and leaving the field. 

     Gryffindor was having a party that night, and a party it was. Lights, drinks, everything a Gryffindor party would normally have. That is, other then James Potter and Maddie Amourette. 

    James knew it was his fault. He knew it. But he had to protect Maddie. It was his job.

    "James it's alright, he's not dead. It was a bloody accident, just be glad you're not kicked off the team for taking my bat," Fred tried to calm his friend down, who only looked away.

    "Come down to the party when you're ready Jamie," Fred mumbled, but James winced at the nickname. The one Maddie calls him. 

    Maddie was sitting in the Hospital Wing, hand in hand with Oliver. He had broken two parts of his ribs, bruised some organ Maddie couldn't remember which. She was having a hard time focusing. Her mind was stuck on the look on Oliver's face and the look of his chest that was sunken in and bruised. The nurse told her he wouldn't be awake any time soon, better to sleep than feel the pain. She knew that, but she couldn't bare leaving him alone.

     But more importantly. She didn't want to see James. All she could think about was him. What the hell did he do? In no circumstances should he have a bat in his hands during Quidditch, not as a Chaser. 

    The night grew on, and Maddie felt herself growing weary. Meanwhile, Alice Longbottom walked herself into James dorm.

    "Jamieeee," Alice slurred, wearing a yellow dress, probably to sport her own house at a Gryffindor party. 

    "Don't call me that," James spat, but turned towards her. 

    "Come on, without you, you'd never have gotten to win," Alice hiccuped, clearly intoxicated.

     "No. Maddie caught the snitch." 

     "Because of you silly."

     James rolled his eyes but sat up in bed.

     "Seeeee," Alice giggled, sitting on his bed and leaning against his body, "come on it's a party, James let's party."

     James stuck his hand into his hair, but got up. Alice looked up at him with blue eyes. But they weren't Maddies. James silently cursed himself as he went in for a kiss. An angry, harsh kiss. It taste like beer and saliva and James just kissed and grabbed and touched to get off the guilt on his back. 

    When he went up for air, he was still guilty. So he got up and went into the party, ready to drink the night away.

    It was around 1:30 when the nurse told her she should go, so Maddie took her self out of the room and slowly wandered the halls on the way to her common room. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, sweat stuck and glistened on her face from the game hours before. Her hair stuck out and frizzed in awkward places. Her face looked weary and was sticky from tears, her Qudditch uniform draped around her body. 

    At that glimpse, she began to cry. Sobbing just at the look of herself, an utter wreck. No one saw her pretty, no one, but Oliver. She was always told she looked like a boy and all she could see was useless and unwanted since her mom left her. She tried not to let it bother her but fuck, it hurt. 

    Footsteps turned the corner, and Proffesor Mcgonagall looked down at Maddie, who sat against the wall. 

    "Miss Amourette?" 

     "Sorry Proffesor, I'm sorry I'm on the way back to my dorm, just came form the wing," she sat up, drying her tears. 

   But it was too late, Mcgonagall heard her muffled cries, and her eyes were red and puffy. 

    "It's alright Madelyn, you played great out there. Mr. Watts will be just fine," she assured her, offering Maddie what her friends called "the official Minnie smile". Maddie nodded her head and walked to her common room.

     When she walked in, there were drinks, and music and lights going off. Sweaty bodies pressed against each other, girls in skimpy clothes and guys enjoying it a bit too much. Her head began to pulse and she felt anger rise in. 

    That's when a sixth year laid his eyes on her, and began chanted her name. 

   "GUYS. MADDIE's HERE! SHE CAUGHT THE SNITCH. MADDIE, MADDIE," he began to chant her names, then the whole room started. Maddie felt her head spin, and she sweared her eyes twitched. She looked around the room for an escape, when her eyes landed on Alice Longbottom and her tongue stuck down James mouth. James looked up at that moment and drunkenly smiled at her, pushing Alice off of him and ready to walk towards her.

    "ENOUGH," Maddie yelled, and the whole room grew silent, other than music and her shaky breathing. "Out. All of you," she continued to demand. 

    Murmuring started amongst the party but she glared, and people began to gather their things, giving her dirty looks. It wasn't like Maddie to deny a party, so it seemed insane for her to shut one down. 

    "Madd-," James started, but she didn't even meet his eyes.

    "Don't. You're pathetic," she told him, heading towards her dorm. 

      James stood there, in shock, when Alice walked up to him, rubbing his shoulder. 

    "Leave," was all he said, before turning to Fred with tears in his eyes. 

     Maddie spent that night crying, hardly having the energy to shower before crawling into bed with Roxanne, who was waiting for her and had decided to skip the party. 

    Roxanne stroked her friends blonde hair, as she hugged her body and silently cried. Roxanne took out her book and read to her, until Maddie's body stopped shaking and she fell asleep.