Chapter Eighteen

Roxanne and Maddie decided to invite the boys date to get ready with them, figuring it was a nice thing to do. 

     Roxanne and Maddie giggled and laughed. Roxy found herself keeping them on time, (Maddie had snuck them into the Room of Requirement to get ready), Maddie talked the girls ears off with excitement. 

    Chasity was a bit shy, but she was super sweet and had no problem warming up to Maddie, as they were friends before. Alice distanced herself a bit, but Maddie tried to get her to open up too. She understood what it was like to be shy, if it wasn't for Hogwarts and James, she'd still be that way. 

    The four got ready, admiring each other. 

    Roxanne finally let her natural curls out, wearing a puffy whitely creamed dress with small blue floral designs pressed against it. She wore little to no makeup, wearing mostly confidence and a bit of sas, but Maddie had loved her for her confidence since they were little girls.

    Chasity had herself into a flowy white dress, one that resembled a very dressed-down wedding dress. Her hair was messily pulled into a low bun, but she was pretty enough to pull it off. Chasity smiled and laughed full heartily, Maddie notice she had a very nice smile. 

     Alice wore her hair as it normally was, in a short bleach blonde with bangs, a shorter dress with constellations on it and a pair of silver heels.

     "Oh my gosh, you're dress, I love it!" Maddie awed, and Alice looked up, surprised. 

      "Thank you, you look gorgeous," Alice commented back.

       Maddie's hair was down but curled, a few pieces pinned to the back of her head. Her dress was a light pink, nearly white dress. It was large, and tight from her chest to her waist, then sprung down with lace and puffs. 

    The four boys had waited in the common room before Maddie sent them a text, letting them know they would be late. So they made their way to the dance, having fun and even the other two began to losen up. 

    Thats when Alice, Roxanne, and Chasity came from the entrance, the boys head turning to them. 

     Walter, Roxannes date, grew a smile on him and took her hand. Fred told Chasity she looked amazing, which made James snicker and Chasity laughed.

     "Where's Maddie?" James went to ask, but Oliver looked at him confused, as if saying "you dont know?"

    "Oh she went to grab her phone, left it in the room, told us not to worry about being late," Chasity spoke up, relaxing her hand into Fred's, who stiffened with nerves at the movement.

    Oliver and James shared a glance, like they both knew they were waiting for her.

     "Hey," Alice smiled at James, and he nodded her, saying something about how the dress had Maddie's favorite constellation on it. 

     "Fuck-, ah guys I'm sorry I'm late," Maddie giggled, coming down the stairs from a different entrance. Though her words were vulgar, and she was a giggling mess (per usual), James stopped dead in his tracks, his heart stopped beating and the whole room grew quiet, seeming miles away. 

    She looked amazing, perfect. Like some princess or something, James thought. Her hair was the perfect shade of honey, and a few hairs were already beginning to frame her face with her beautiful waves. Her eyes were glowing as she bettered the room, and her mouth was open with a smile. James swore the whole room for brighter when she walked in. He felt like he was seeing her all knew for the first time. 

    It was just like James forgot where and who he was, his eyes on her, her eyes met his for a second, twinkling. 

    "I love you," James blurted out, not a worry in the world, until his heart began to beat again, and he realized what he said. How majorly, and royally he screwed up. 

    "Shut up James," Maddie laughed, taking it as an "We've been friends forever, I love you because you're my friend", sort of thing. 

   James looked at the ground for a moment, feeling a wound tear in his heart as she walked past him to Oliver, who smiled and complimented her. 

    Fred came up next to him, offering him a comforting shoulder squeeze.

    "I love her," James whispered.

    "Fucking simp," Fred joked, but gave him a look saying "it'll be alright". 

    As the night grew on, the group began to have more fun, a bit of firewhiskey coaxing them out of their nervousness, though James never saw eyes for another girl the whole time. His sight was on Maddie, who was slightly intoxicated, singing and spinning her friends around in circles, or getting up close to them and grinding her slightly sweaty body on them, just giggling and being the light of the room. 

    When a slow song came on, Fred was drunk enough to agree to go dance with Chasity, who was completely sober but smiling like an idiot falling in love. Maddie took a break from the floor, chatting with Oliver, but Maddie excused herself to the bathroom, her cheeks rosy from the drinking.

    "Dance with her," James slightly hiccuped, furrowing his brows at Oliver, who looked confused. "Dance with her. She needs someone who will dance with her."

    "I'm not a good da-," Oliver started.

     "Dance with her, before someone else does."

     When Maddie came out, looking flushed and giggling like before, Oliver asked her to dance to the song, and Maddie dragged him out there, the two swaying to the mellow beat.

    "Fuck," James whispered. He wanted that to be him. This should be his night with her, her first ball, dancing with her. He hadn't hugged her in what seemed liked months, and her presence was slightly farther than before.

    James sat down next to Alice, who was happily chatting with a Hufflepuff boy. 

     "Jamieeeee," Maddie shouted from the dance floor, an upbeat song on. James smiled, but saw Oliver give her two big puppies eyes, which she seemed to not see. 

    "James Sirius," Maddie giggled, she was a very giggly drunk, "Potter. Dance with me."

     James gave in and jumped out of his seat, Maddie's hand intwined into his as she led him onto the floor. James heart slightly fluttered at the touch, and he wasn't sure if it was the alcohol or how long it had been sense even her hand touched him, maybe it was how beautiful she looked. Either ways, he let his heart flutter. 

    Maddie's hair had fallen out around her face, curly q's erupting wildly around her neck and face. Her cheeks were rosy and her movements were lose, a bit of sweat glistening on her forehead and collarbones. Maddie took James by the hand and danced with him, moving and jumping to the beat, singing along while James did the same, his eyes on her.

   "HEY JAMES," Maddie shouted over the music, "YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND AND I LOVE YOU JAMES POTTER." 

   Maddie giggled and began to dance and sing, never giving James a moment to respond.