2 - The New, Thoughtful Me

So, I didn't have a boyfriend... not yet.

But there was this one guy in the year above me, who was, as my mother would put it, a bit of a spunk.

Chen Chang.

He was Ravenclaw's Seeker and last year he totally made eyes at me when we were hovering up above the Hufflepuff Ravenclaw game on our broomsticks.

I found it so distracting that I failed to find the Snitch and Hufflepuff lost the match. We were also flattened by Slytherin too. Thank fuck Harry was scared off his broom by those Dementors otherwise I suspect we would have been destroyed by Gryffindor last year as well.

Not entirely sure how I'm still captain to be honest. But I look pretty good in Quidditch robes; yellow is definitely my colour.

I couldn't wait to tell Susan and Hannah of my plans to get a boyfriend this year. I was going to turn fifteen in just a few weeks, after all, and it was about time I put myself out there before all the good ones got taken.

Dad was acting very peculiar in the last days of summer. He seemed very excited about me going back to Hogwarts and when I tried to pack my Quidditch robes he told me that I wouldn't be needing them.

"I hope you're joking!" I cried, panicking that I was going to miss a golden opportunity to flirt with Chen in the skies. "Mum, tell me he's joking!"

But Mum just chortled mysterious and shook her head. "Sorry, pet; Mum's the word!"

Ugh, parents could be so fucking infuriating.

My angst about Quidditch being cancelled was soon forgotten when September the first finally arrived and I found myself striding eagerly up the platform; my parents following close behind with all my luggage. I seemed to have a lot this year, but I couldn't decide which shoes to bring so I packed them all.

Amazon squawked loudly behind me as her cage kept rattling against my many trunks upon the trolley that my father had procured.

"Dad, you need to carry her separately," I sighed, rolling my eyes at the embarrassment the racket was causing. "She doesn't like riding on the trolley."

Realising that Dad's hands were rather full, I thoughtfully plucked the cage from the trolley myself and handed it to Mum.

"Now, come on," I ordered, leading my parents along as I squinted up at the carriage windows, "keep your eyes peeled for the girls."

I finally located them right at the top of the platform.

"CECE!"

Susan and Hannah were both jumping up and down waving their hands in the air as I raced up to meet them; the three of us all squealing excitedly.

"Oh my god, your hair looks gorgeous!"

"I know, new hair spray. Ooo I love your nails, and purple's so in right now."

"Is that a new bag? Oh my life, it's to absolutely die for. I'm so jel!"

As the three of us caught up on the important stuff, Mum and Dad hastily loaded all my luggage onto the train, both of them sweating profusely by the time they eventually clambered off.

"You best get onboard, pet," Dad wheezed, clutching breathlessly at his chest. "I think it's about to leave."

"Bye, love," Mum panted, wiping her dripping brow, "don't forget to send Amazon back with a note the second you've arrived safely."

"Sure, sure," I smiled, air blowing them both kisses as I hopped up onto the train after my besties.

I would have hugged them goodbye but I didn't want their sweat to ruin my carefully prepared outfit. I mean, I'd gone to a lot of trouble; I'd even gotten Mum to iron it.

"Don't forget to take your heart meds, Dad!" I yelled out of the window as the train slowly rolled out from the station.

"That's so totally thoughtful, Cece," Hannah said as she waved to her own parents. "I wouldn't even know what medication my dad takes."

"I know," I nodded sagely, "like, I was reading this book over the summer about the importance of treating others with respect; apparently it really does wonders for your pores."

"Oh yeah, I was so going to say your skin looks super amazing." Susan said, nodding her head.

"Definitely," Hannah agreed immediately. "I thought maybe you'd change your cleanser."

"Aw, guys," I said, flapping my hands in front of my eyes, "you're making me well up."

Giggling, we linked arms and skipped along the corridor in search of a compartment, telling everyone they looked fabulous even when it was clear that not even all the magic in the world could help them.

It was all part of the new, thoughtful me.

******

"O.M.G." I gasped dramatically as the trolley witch announced her upcoming arrival. "I totally forgot to tell you both about my exciting new news!"

"Ooo, is your mum having a baby?"

"Ew, as if! Don't be so gross, Susan. My mum's like in her thirties."

"My mum had me when she was forty," Hannah said in a small voice; a look of hurt flitting across her features. "She said she'd never felt fitter."

"Anyway," I said, wanting to bring the conversation back round to me. "As I was saying: my big news."

I paused dramatically to heighten the anticipation.

"Well?" Susan urged, whom I was pleased to see was sitting literally on the edge of her seat.

"I've decided that this will be the year I'm going to get a boyfriend!"

The noise in our compartment was deafening, anyone passing by would probably wonder what on earth had happened to cause so much screaming.

"THIS IS SOOO EXCITING!" Hannah squealed, smacking her hands to her face as she practically began hyperventilating.

"I know!" I agreed, feeling proud that my news had caused so much joy to my friends. My selflessness knew no bounds.

"Oh my god, who is it?" Susan shrieked, eagerly bouncing up and down as though she needed to pee.

Another dramatic pause.

"Chen Chang."

This time, the reaction wasn't what I'd hoped for.

"But he's a fifth year!" Hannah gasped, her face looking horrified.

"Yeah, and he was totally checking me out at last years Quidditch match," I reminded her, trying not to feel miffed at the negative vibes she was showering down on my parade.

"Actually he really was," Susan hurriedly agreed, "I did say, didn't I, babes? I said that he was definitely looking at your hair."

"Uh, Susan," I said as Hannah and I exchanged pitying glances. "We stopped saying babes, remember? We agreed that it was totally nineteen ninety three."

"Oh-" she said, glowing red. "I- I must have forgot."

"It's okay," I said generously, giving her a smile. "We all make mistakes every now and then. It's what helps shape our future selves."

"You are so wise, Cece," Hannah sighed dreamily.

"And kind," Susan agreed.

What can I say? I do my best.

******