5 - Hufflepuff

Viktor Krum emitted a heavy yawn whilst his ear was being chewed off by a certain Slytherin.

"Father is furious with Dumbledore's decision to put an age restriction on it, of course. Otherwise I'd be the first in line to put my name in."

Draco Malfoy would never admit it out loud, but he was secretly glad that he wasn't old enough to enter.

He did wonder what sort of idiot would put their life at risk just for a bit of glory.

Just as this thought entered his head, Draco's eyes automatically roamed over to the Gryffindor table and rested on a certain four eyed, scar headed twat; anger sparking instantly in his stomach. No doubt he'd find a way to make the tournament all about him though; it was classic Potter, after all.

A loud peel of laughter erupted from the Hufflepuff table and Draco glanced over, feeling that familiar flutter as his eyes landed on the blonde haired witch whom he would sometimes find himself thinking about at unexpected times of the day.

Cecilia Diggory was undoubtedly beautiful. A lot of the boys fancied her - the girls too, Draco noted, given the way he would catch some of them staring longingly at her.

Even Pansy talked about her as though she was the best thing since sliced bread, all because Cecilia once complimented her on that vulgar keyring that Pansy insisted on attaching to her school bag ("Pink and fluffy! How quirky!").

Draco had suspected that she'd been taking the piss but decided to remain mute even when Pansy wouldn't shut up telling anyone and everyone that her keyring had been given the 'Cecilia Diggory Seal of Approval'.

Draco wanted to dislike this Hufflepuff that thought she was all that. He really did. And he probably would have done if it wasn't for one thing.

Quidditch.

The bitter disappointment he'd felt when he realised Quidditch wouldn't be happening that year had taken him by surprise. Surprise because he hadn't realised how much he was looking forward to playing against Cecilia again until the opportunity had been snatched away from him.

It was during Quidditch when Draco felt any kind of admiration towards her. He liked that - like him - she too, was a Seeker. He admired the way she flew and the determination in her eyes as she searched hungrily for that Snitch. She wasn't just beautiful popular Cecilia Diggory when she was up in the skies, but a determined player like himself; equals.

Draco had zero desire to approach her when they were on the ground. She was a different person; knowing full well the power that she had over everyone, and she simply revelled in it. And it also didn't help that she was always attached to those two idiotic Hufflepuffs, or her bitches, as Draco would often refer to them nastily in his head.

Also, he suspected that Cecilia didn't think much of him; like most of the school who weren't in Slytherin. They were all threatened by his family's money and status, of course. His father always said that the Malfoy's were one of the few superior families left in the wizarding world and that it was important to be proud of that fact.

One time, in Charms class, he'd accidentally knocked her quill out of her hand as he'd passed her desk. Without thinking, he'd reached down and picked it up. She took it off him with a dismissive 'thanks', looking highly uncomfortable by his gesture.

In that moment he'd experienced the strangest feeling, not knowing whether he wanted to slap her or kiss her.

And since then... well, he wouldn't call it obsession, exactly.

"Fuck, dude, have you seen those Beauxbaton chicks?" Montague hissed in his ear, bringing him out of his reverie. "Wouldn't mind giving them a tour later. Why can't they come like that over here? Man, I'd never get anything done if they did, though." He sniggered as he mimed a crude gesture with his hand.

Draco felt a flicker of irritation, finding Montague's forthright manner crass and common.

And judging by the look of revulsion on Krum's face as he glared at the guffawing Slytherin, he agreed with Draco.

Draco wasn't a prude, by no means. But he preferred not to openly voice what he would often think about in the shower.

His eyes flicked guiltily back to the Hufflepuff.

******

"Well, here goes," I winked to my besties.

To the applause and cheers of everyone around me, I sauntered up to the goblet, making sure to give my hips that extra bit of swagger, feeling glad I was wearing my tightest jeans for the occasion.

I could feel the adrenaline pulsing through my veins as everyone's eyes bore into me. Fuck, it felt good being the centre of attention.

As I dropped the piece of parchment containing my name into the fire, I slowly whirled around, beaming at my audience.

To my pure and utter delight, Chen was there, clapping the loudest, eyes sparkling as they fixed upon me. There was no denying the admiration in them.

He broke free of the crowd to meet me, continuing to clap as he closed the distance between us.

"Good luck, Cecilia," he said smoothly, his voice sounding like a chorus of angels, "I was hoping you'd enter."

"You were?" I asked, trying my hardest to keep my cool; but to my horror, I could feel the heat creeping up to my face like a betrayal.

Chen chuckled, his eyes dancing amusedly. "You're cute when you blush, you know."

Damn. This dude was smooth as fuck.

And yet he was also leaving me unnaturally speechless.

I stood there opening and closing my mouth like an idiot, trying desperately to think of something sleek to say to make this moment perfect.

"Do you like coffee?" I ended up asking, inwardly cringing at my desperation.

"Sure," he smiled, his face telling me he was enjoying the effect he was having on me. "And I know a great place in Hogsmeade that does them. Maybe I could show you some time?"

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.

"Sure," I shrugged, trying to act as though I got asked out by hot guys for coffee all the time. "Maybe you could."

"See you around then, Hufflepuff," he winked, "I'll be crossing my fingers for you at tonight's feast."

I watched him stride coolly away, the sound of my heart pounding deafeningly in my ears.

The second he disappeared back into the crowd, Hannah and Susan flew to my side as if on cue, holding me up before my legs could buckle beneath me.

"You did it!" Susan squealed in my ear as she fanned me with her Charms essay.

"You make it look so easy," Hannah sighed, "I wish I had your prowess when it comes to guys."

"Oh, it was nothing," I shrugged once I'd composed myself. "Sometimes a girl's just got it."

"Where are you going?" They both cried in unison as I grabbed my bag and started hastily for the door.

"The owlery," I called back over my shoulder.

I had a singing telegram to cancel.

******