27 - The Indecent Proposal

He lost the game. Of course he had.

Because instead of searching for the fucking Snitch, he couldn't tear his eyes away from her.

Draco couldn't understand what got into him when he was around her. The need to be physical with her was overwhelming. He hadn't meant to squeeze her neck like that, but he saw something in her eyes almost begging him.

The thing that shocked him the most was that she never showed the fear that most normal people would have in their eyes if someone was hurting them in that way.

It wasn't that he wanted to hurt her... more that he wanted to please her. It didn't make sense, but all he knew was that if he had even seen the slightest flicker of apprehension in her eyes, then he'd have backed off immediately.

But no. All he saw was the look of excitement.

And he wanted more.

And then there was that bizarre thing that kept happening. She was talking to someone who was not there. Everyone thought she was losing the plot, but Draco was beginning to think there was something to it, after all. Because when he looked into her eyes, he didn't see crazy at all.

He saw Potter.

*****

Things started to kick off.

First, the twins let off a load of fireworks and did a runner. Lucky bastards.

Second, Dobby informed us that we had a snitch amongst the DA and there was nothing golden about it in the slightest.

"RUN!" Harry and I bellow, despite the fact that no one but me could hear him.

Being the captain of this rapidly sinking ship, I realise I have to do the honourable thing and let the others leave first. The door suddenly seems so ridiculously small and I am frustrated that it doesn't grow to accommodate the mass exodus. Room of Requirement my arse.

"Hurry!" Harry urges me, as Neville's bottom disappears from view. There is a joke in there somewhere but it probably is not the time.

I nod to Harry and run, not entirely sure which way I am aiming for. All I want to do is get the fuck out of there fast.

It is no surprise to me when I am literally stopped in my tracks by none other than Draco Malfoy.

"Trip jinx!" he roars, laughing sycophantically as I lie flat on my face in the corridor.

I can hear Umbridge up ahead, yelling something about catching the vermin and feeding the lions.

"Fuck you, Malfoy!" I snarl, twisting my head round to glare at him. "Why the fuck is it always you?"

To my surprise, he crouches down behind me and places his hands on my upper arms as his lips go to my ear. "Maybe because no matter how hard we try to fight it, we just can't keep away from one another."

He hauls me up to my feet and throws me through a door before Umbridge can scurry into view.

I turn around and look at him, shocked. "You... you saved me?"

It is a question because I am not entirely sure I am any safer in this empty classroom alone with him than I am out there with that psycho bitch.

He puts a finger to his lips as the sound of Umbridge's footsteps hurry past, and then he shrugs, straightening his tie as his eyes watch me carefully.

"How long have you been talking to Potter?"

I blink. "What?"