8 - Burn

I totally got burnt, but that's okay because not only did I get a kick arse scar on my face, but Chen also declared us 'exclusive'.

He'd gotten so worked up seeing the dragon breathe fire on me that it caused him to jump up in the crowd and shout "Oi! That's my girlfriend!".

Afterwards, he came skidding breathlessly into the tent where Madam Pomfrey was treating my burn, his face full of horror.

"Did you mean what you said?" I asked, butterflies in my stomach at seeing how worried he was about me.

"Well, I wasn't talking about the dragon," he chuckled, lightly kissing the end of my nose, careful not to knock my wound. "Cute dog by the way. Pity the dragon didn't seem to think so. Perhaps next time go for a Rottweiler over a Lab."

I pulled him in for a proper kiss, not caring about my burn. I was on a high from not dying and wanted to celebrate with my boyfriend.

Madam Pomfrey, however, was not impressed and immediately sent him packing.

That night the Hufflepuffs threw me the biggest party.

I got so drunk I vomited through my nose.

*****

"Would you like to go to the ball with me?"

I cringed, looking around for a non existent escape route. Harry had literally cornered me on the way out of the owlery from where I had just sent Dad the exact requirements of the dress I needed.

"Harry, hun," I sighed pityingly, patting a hand to his shoulder, "surely you must know that Chen and I are a thing now?"

"Uh- no," he said, his cheeks adorably flushing. "I- I didn't."

Merlin, where had this boy been? Chen and I were without a doubt the hottest couple of Hogwarts' history.

"Well, I'm sure you'll find someone," I suggested kindly when he didn't make any attempt to remove himself from this humiliating conversation. "I heard those Patil twins are desperate."

Yeah, especially now that bitch Padma could no longer get her claws into my boyfriend.

"Oh, really?" Harry said, his interest piquing as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Twins, huh? I suppose I could handle both..."

He trailed off, obviously picturing some kind of perverted scenario in his disgusting fourteen year old head.

Thank god I was dating a man.

******

"Oh my fucking god, you look totally drop dead gorgeous!" Susan squealed as I stepped out into our dormitory and gave my best twirl.

"I know," I smirked, checking my reflection out in the mirror.

Damn, I was hot. And my dress was short enough to show off my long tanned legs perfectly. I refused to opt for one of those ghastly floor length type ballgown dresses and went instead for a nineteen twenties Charleston style shimmering gold tassel number.

Not many could pull it off; but I, of course, could.

"Wow, a true champion," Hannah sighed dreamily, looking upon me enviously. "Chen's going to be knocked out."

Judging by everyone's reactions when I walked down the marble staircase into the Entrance Hall, Chen wasn't the only one knocked out by my outrageously good looks.

Literal gasps.

"Damn, baby," Chen whistled as I approached him, his eyes roaming up and down my body appreciatively. "Do I have the hottest chick here tonight or do I have the hottest chick?"

"You certainly have," I grinned, as an explosion of butterflies took flight in my stomach. I reached up on tiptoes moving my lips against his ear, "but only if you can keep up."

His eyes flashed as he pulled me up against his chest, his breathing ragged as he brushed his lips against mine; an illicit groan emitting from the back of his throat.

"You better believe I can, Diggory," he murmured huskily, running a single finger down the side of my face causing goosebumps to erupt along my skin.

"Do you mind?" A cold drawling voice sounded behind me.

I reluctantly pulled away from Chen, twisting around to find myself face to face with a disgruntled looking white-blond haired Slytherin.

"What's your problem, ferret boi?" I sighed, annoyed that he was killing my buzz.

He visibly flinched at my term of endearment; Chen sniggered behind me.

"Take a look around you," Draco sneered, curling his lip up as he flicked his eyes over me in evident disapproval, "there are other people present who would rather not have to witness such frivolous displays of impropriety."

What the fuck? Who invited this pretentious killjoy to the party?

"Alright, Grandma," I scoffed, placing my hands on my hips, "keep your wig on. We wouldn't want another incident like last month, would we? Although mind you, I'd be quite intrigued to see if ferrets can dance.."

"Is that a threat?" Draco hissed, his nostrils flaring as his face twisted into an fierce scowl, "because if it is, I can assure you that I'll have my father straight onto the tournament's committee and have you thrown out-"

"Oh give it a rest, Malfoy," Chen snarled, stepping in front of me to jab a finger in Draco's chest. "Why don't you piss off down to your little dungeon and go back to practicing your snogging techniques on an apple."

Loud snorts of laughter rippled through the crowded Entrance Hall and an angry pink tinge rose to Draco's cheeks.

"I'll have you know that there are plenty of girls I could kiss!" He bristled as a tiny muscle pulsed along his jawline. "I don't need the practice!"

"Oh yeah?" Chen chortled, draping an arm over my shoulders as he glanced over at Pansy Parkinson who was watching us fretfully from the sidelines. "You do realise that pugs don't count?"

"Chen, stop," I said, placing a hand on his chest as I noticed Pansy's lower lip starting to tremble. "Let's just go and enjoy the ball, shall we?"

As Chen and Draco continued to stare one another out, Chen eventually conceded; giving a derisive snort. "The ferret isn't even worth my time, anyway."

The entire Entrance Hall seemed to release a collective breath as Chen and I sauntered away, the fraught encounter already evaporating from my mind as the night of possibilities and fun lay ahead of me.

Behind me, however; the steely grey eyes of the Slytherin burned angrily into my back, hatred at boiling point as he watched me laugh at something Chen had whispered in my ear; just one word screaming in his head, drowning out everything else.

Bitch.

******