Chapter 18

Johnny and Carmen sat at the back of an undercover Detective car, and it parked a couple of blocks away from the compound. Johnny got out of the car and faced the detective. He was then fitted with a tiny, discreet microphone under his shirt.

"Remember. You need to record him admitting that he physically abused Mr. Diaz and his mother."

"Yeah, got it." Johnny said. The detective nodded at him.

"OK, let's go." He said. Johnny was directed into another unmarked car, which he would be driving to the motel. Johnny took a deep breath and pulled out a picture of him and Miguel that Miguel had taken during the Dee Snider concert and Johnny kept in his wallet at all times. He smiled at the expression of delight on his student's face. He needed to get that look back on his student's face. And to do that, he needed to complete this operation.

Johnny drove to the motel in silence, well aware that there was a microphone on his chest. He made it to the motel a couple of minutes later, and knocked on the door to room 31, the room Miguel's father was in. Expecting Miguel, his father opened the door, but his face dropped when he saw Johnny instead.

"Where's Miguel?" His father asked. Johnny pushed past him and walked into the apartment.

"Not here. Just big, bad me." Johnny replied. Miguel's dad shut the door behind him, and then turned to face Johnny.

"And who are you?" He snapped.

"A concerned party." Johnny replied. Mr. Diaz chuckled.

"You're going to have to give me more than that." His dad said.

"I'm Miguel's karate instructor." Johnny replied, opting to leave his relationship with Carmen out as he didn't want to trigger the man. Mr. Diaz raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

"Boy decided to do Karate?" He laughed. "Makes sense. He's probably too soft for a real man's sport like football, huh?"

"Hey! Miguel is ten times the man you'll ever be." Johnny growled. Mr. Diaz chuckled.

"Yeah right. So how bad is he?"

"Actually, he's a champion." Johnny snapped, getting annoyed at this man who was being so rude about his own son. "All Valley Champ. So next time you try and hit him, watch out."

Mr. Diaz chuckled.

"Yeah, Miguel and I sure had our differences back in the day. Boy just needed to be straightened up a bit. Taught how to be a man."

That's when Johnny snapped.

"A MAN?!" Johnny shouted. "Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you beat him up several times; smash beer bottles on him; hit him with a baseball bat, a belt, brass knuckles?! You terrorised him growing up, and he still has nightmares about you now!"

Mr. Diaz shrugged.

"Yeah. Whatever it took for him to learn, right?" He replied. There it was. The confession. What the police needed to arrest him then and there. But suddenly, Johnny didn't care about that.

"Look, you have two options." Johnny growled. "First option, you walk into the police station right now and turn yourself in."

Mr. Diaz laughed in Johnny's face.

"And what's option 2?" He asked. Johnny scowled at him.

"Option 2 is that I eliminate you from Miguel's life myself. Permanently." Johnny growled, gearing up for a fight. He personally wanted to kill that man in front of him. The way Miguel's father spoke about his crimes towards his child so emotionlessly... Johnny wanted to wipe the slimy man out of existence entirely.