Chapter 19

Miguel and Sam walked into the LAPD police station about an hour later after grabbing a quick breakfast from Starbucks. When they walked into the police station, they were directed up to the precinct's bullpen, where they were met by Johnny and the Detective in charge of the case. Johnny had a couple of stitches and a black eye on his face: clearly he had been in a fight with Miguel's dad. Miguel avoided eye contact with Johnny as the Detective spoke to them.

"So, Mr. Diaz, your father is in custody. As I think you were informed, you are going to have to give a statement, where I'm going to ask you various questions. After that, we will access the situation and formally charge Mr. Diaz. From there, he can either plead guilty or innocent. Guilty would send him straight to jail. Innocent would take things to court. So, Mr. Diaz, if you'd like to come with me, we can get started." The Detective stated. Miguel raised a hand to stop him.

"Um... Could you give me a minute? I need to talk to him." Miguel said, pointing at Johnny. The Detective nodded and Miguel and Johnny walked out of earshot of the rest of the group. Miguel handed Johnny the large travel mug of coffee that was in his hands.

"I heard you had a rough night. Thought you could use this." Miguel murmured. Johnny looked at it and raised an eyebrow. Johnny knew that Miguel knew how much he disliked coffee.

"Coffee?" Johnny asked, shuddering. Miguel chuckled and shook his head.

"It's Coors beer." Miguel replied. "Thought you could use it, but I didn't the police would appreciate you drinking openly around them."

Johnny accepted the travel cup gratefully.

"Thanks, kid." Johnny said, cracking a smile at how much Miguel had changed since he met him. The Miguel he had met a year ago would NEVER have thought about sneaking alcohol into a police station. Johnny's temporary moment of happiness quickly vanished as he remembered what him and Carmen had done behind Miguel's back. "Look, Miguel. I..."

Miguel interrupted him with something completely unexpected. He threw his arms around his sensei and hugged him tightly. Johnny, confused, accepted the hug and hugged his student tightly back.

"Thank you. SO much, Sensei. For all of it. Even if drugging me was a bit cold." Miguel said, joking at the end. Johnny chuckled.

"Well, it was that or I knock you out with my fists so you tell me which one you would have preferred." Johnny replied. Miguel laughed.

"Fair point." He replied,

"So we're good?" Johnny asked. Miguel looked him straight in the eye and nodded.

"Yeah. We're good." Miguel replied. Johnny looked visibly relieved at this. The two of them walked back to where the Detective and Sam were waiting. Miguel nodded at the Detective.

"You ready?" The Detective asked. Miguel nodded.

"Yeah, but can I have her with me?" Miguel asked, slipping his hand in Sam's, and as Sam felt Miguel's hand tremble in hers, she realised how terrified he was about the statement he had to give. She squeezed his hand comfortingly, but the Detective looked unsure.

"We'd prefer if it was a 1 on 1 conversation with just the victim and the cop." The detective said.

"Please. For emotional support." Miguel pleaded. The cop saw the fear in Miguel's eyes and eventually nodded.

"Yeah, okay." The detective relented. Miguel nodded in relief and his hand tightened in Sam's. The two of them were led into a private interrogation room, and the only difference between them and any criminal suspect that previously sat in that room was the fact that they weren't in handcuffs. Miguel and Sam sat opposite a policeman, who placed a recording device in the middle of the table. Miguel was terrified at this point, and it took Sam holding his hand and her arm around him for him to stay calm. Miguel honestly didn't know what he would do in his life without Sam. She was the best thing to ever happen to him, and he was so incredibly lucky to have her in his life.