Chapter 42

Okay, so the next chapter is NOT real. It is all part of Miguel's subconscious. Like last time he was in a coma, he dreamed of the All-Valley, this time he dreams this...

Running. That's what Miguel was doing. He sprinted through the hedge maze, crashing through the foliage as he went. Mist covered every inch of the maze and Miguel couldn't see two feet in front of him. He had no idea where he was going. He had no idea what was happening. All he knew was that he saw a tsunami of dirt chasing him, threatening to bury him alive. That was all he needed for his mind to convince his body to start running through the maze.

Miguel eventually came to a fork in the narrow passageway he was sprinting down. He had no idea which pathway would lead him to the end of the maze. He took a gamble and went left, but he swore as moments later, he reached a dead end. Turning on his Miguel, Miguel started tearing his way back to the fork, running towards the fast approaching tsunami. As Miguel finally made it back and turned right, the even felt pieces of dirt lick at his heels. He winced. The dirt was scalding hot, and he felt it burn into his ankle, the place where he got singed.

Miguel forced himself on, creating distance between him and the avalanche. He soon came to his next obstacle, but this one was far worse than the fork. It was his father standing right in front of him, grinning sadistically at him.

"What's up, boy?" His father asked. Miguel closed his eyes as his heart pounded. This isn't real. This isn't real. This is just a figment of his imagination.

"The fuck?" Miguel snapped. "What do you want?"

"If you want to get to the end of the maze, you're gonna have to get through me." His dad growled, balling his hands into fists. Miguel scowled at him and lunged, tackling his dad and grappling his dad to the ground. However, due to the size differential, Mr. Diaz quickly rolled over so he was on top of Miguel, but Miguel didn't let him get too close. Miguel quickly pulled his knees to his chest and kicked outwards, sending Mr. Diaz flying backwards and being buried by the dirt tsunami. Miguel nearly threw up as he watched his dad being sucked in, but he forced himself onwards, scrambling to his feet and taking off deeper into the maze.

As Miguel got further into the labyrinth, he eventually came to his next obstacle. Well, he didn't know what kind of obstacle it was. All he saw was a massive clearing, and Sam sitting on a bench in the middle. Behind her, there was a solid concrete wall. It was like the end of the road. A dead end. But for some reason, Miguel was drawn to it. He could sense something was wrong, but he ignored his feelings and continued walking closer. However, he stopped about halfway there when he saw a hooded figure sit on the bench next to her. The man pulled down his hood and Miguel's eyes widened in alarm when he saw who it was... it was Kreese!

Miguel started to run faster towards Sam, as Sam looked at Kreese, terrified. She looked so petrified that it was almost like she could see something from her angle that Miguel couldn't. As Miguel ran closer, Kreese and Sam finally heard him. They both turned around and saw him and when Miguel saw Kreese's chest, his heart stopped. Strapped to Kreese's chest was a suicide bomber vest!

Kreese nodded at Miguel.

"Ahhh, Mr. Diaz. Right on time!" He announced. "So, let me cut to the chase right here. This suicide vest is rigged to explode in 30 seconds. If you come near me or Sam, it automatically explodes, and all three of us die. If you back up and let the vest explode, Sam and I will die, but the concrete wall behind us will be broken down and you can run through and continue the maze."

Knowing that Sam was a figment of his subconscious, Miguel shrugged.

"Well, then obviously I'm gonna back up." Miguel stated. That was easy. Kreese chuckled.