3| Qurbat

Dil ki aarzoo labon par aati hai
Teri ek nazar mera dil behlaati hai

Teri ek jhalak mera dil bechain karati hai
Teri ek muskaan se meri zindagi sawar jaati hai.

--F

***

Anabia was in the kitchen sweating profusely. She was wearing a lemon-yellow color suit with a cigarette off white pants. Her lemon yellow chiffon dupatta was hanging around her neck.

It was the first time cooking something in the kitchen. She tied her hair in a bun and start cutting fruits for a fruit custard.

"Ohho. Shouhar ke liye itni mehnat ki jaa rahi hai," Anam said in a mischievous tone while coming into the kitchen.

(Ohho. Someone is cooking something for their husband)

"Aapko kisne kaha ke ham Shahzain ke liye bana rahe hai?" Anabia asked steering the milk which was on the stove.

(Who told you that I am making something for Shahzain)

"Zahir hai. Aap pehli baar kuch bana rahi hai. Apne shouhar ke liye hi bana rahi hongi," Anam said taking the piece of apple.

(It's obvious. You are making something for the first time. It must be for your husband)

"Nahi yaar. Ham Aaban ke liye banaa rahe hai. Aaban ko bohot pasand hai na," Anabia said with a smile while steering the spoon.

(No. I am making it for Aaban. He likes the fruit custard)

Anam looked at her with a shocked expression.

Aaban Ahmed was the younger brother of Shahzain Ahmed. He is mischievous and the funniest among his siblings.

"Aapko nahi lagta ke shahzain bhai ko bura lagega ke aap unke ke liye nahi banaa rahi hai. Unka zyada haq hai aakhir aapne first time kuch try kiya hai," Anam told her.

(Don't you think that Shahzain bhai will feel bad that you didn't make it for him. You are making something for the first time and he has more right on it)

"Usme bura maanne wali baat kya hai? Waise bhi wo is tarah ka khaana pasand nahi karte," Anabia said decorating the bowl with custard and fruits.

(There is nothing to be offended. And he doesn't even like this type of food)

Anam sighed at her naiveness and left the kitchen.

Anabia is not making custard for him out of love. She just wants to go shopping with him as he has a very good choice. And it was one of the ways in convincing Aaban. Her farewell party was on few days and she was still not done with the shopping.

"Aaban, I made a fruit custard for you," She said while she entered the living room.

He flopped on the couch while watching football. His mouth watered at the sight of his favorite dessert.

"Kya kaam hai?" Aaban asked narrowing his eyes at her.

(What do you want)

"Hamein please shopping par leke chale. Aapki choice kitni acchi hai. Hamari farewell party hone wali hai and hamare paas dress hi nahi hai," Anabia said whining like a child.

(Please take me shopping. Your choice is so good. There will be a farewell party in my college and I don't have a proper dress)

"Mujhe pareshan mat karo Anabia. Shahzain bhai ko bolo wo tumhe le jayenge. Aakhir shouhar hai wo tumhaare," Aaban told her which make her groan.