Bugs [3]

The outline of Lynda's dead body was drawn on the carpet.

"This looks like the place," Dean said.

Phoenix gave Dean a deadpanned look "No, really. What gave that away?" She picked up a towel and dropped it when she saw it was covered in dead spiders. "Spiders,"

"From Spider-Boy?"

"Matt..." Sam said "maybe,"

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix pulled up at the curb.

Across the street, Matt got off a school bus and began walking.

"Isn't his house that way?" Phoenix questioned as she pointed in the opposite direction that Matt was walking in.

"Yup," Sam replied.

"So where's he goin'?" Dean wondered.

They got out of the car and began following Matt into the woods.

Matt was examining a grasshopper.

"Hey, Matt." Sam greeted "Remember me?"

"What are you doin' out here?" Matt asked.

"Well, we wanna talk to you," Dean said

"You're not here to buy a house, are you?"

Phoenix shook her head

"W-wait. You're not serial killers?"

Phoenix shook her head as she laughed "No, no. No, I think you're safe,"

"So, Matt...you sure know a lot about insects," Dean noted.

"So?" Matt shrugged.

"Did you hear what happened to Lynda, the realtor?" Sam asked.

"I hear she died this morning,"

"Mm, that's right. Spider bites," Dean said.

"Matt...you tried to scare her with a spider," Sam said.

"Wait. You think I had something to do with that?" Matt argued.

"You tell us," Phoenix said.

"That tarantula was a joke. Anyway, that wouldn't explain the bee attack or the gas company guy,"

"You know about those?"

"There is somethin' going on here. I don't know what...but something's happening with the insects. Let me show you something," Matt picked up his backpack and began walking with the trio to another area.

"So, if you knew about all this bug stuff, why not tell your dad?" Phoenix wondered "Maybe he could clear everybody out,"

"Believe me, I've tried. But, uh, Larry doesn't listen to me,"

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Mostly? He's too disappointed in his freak son,"

"I hear you," Sam scoffed.

Phoenix placed a reassuring hand on her best friend's shoulder.

"You do?" Dean challenged.

Phoenix turned and shook her head at Dean.

"Matt, how old are you?" Sam asked.

"Sixteen," Matt replied.

"Well, don't sweat it, because, in two years, something great's gonna happen,"

"What?"

"College. You'll be able to get out of that house and away from your dad,"

"What kind of advice is that?" Dean exclaimed "Kid should stick with his family,"

"How much further, Matt?" Phoenix asked.

"We're close,"

A few moments later, the group reached a large clearing. The sounds of hundreds of different insects could be heard among the trees.

"I've been keeping track of insect populations. It's, um, part of an AP science class," Matt explained.

"You two are like peas in a pod," Phoenix teased as she pushed Sam lightly with her shoulder.

"What's been happening?" Sam asked.

"A lot. I mean, from bees to earthworms, beetles...you name it. It's like they're congregating here,"

"Why?" Dean questioned

"I don't know," Matt admitted.

Phoenix looked over at a dark patch of grass a few feet away "What's that?"

Curious, Phoenix walked over to it and discovered hundreds of worms.

Phoenix stepped on some of them, and they fell into the ground, creating a hole. She crouched down and used a stick to poke around in the hole "There's somethin' down there." Phoenix put the stick down and put her hand into the hole. She felt something inside the hole. Phoenix brought her hand back up, and the four looked horrified.

Covered in dirt and worms, was a human skull.