Home [2]

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix pulled up to the old Winchester house.

Sam got out of the car leaving Dean and Phoenix.

"You gonna be all right?" Phoenix asked Dean, her eyes never leaving the house.

"I should be asking you the same thing? What the hell happened back there?" Dean asked looking back at the redhead.

Phoenix shook her head "Something's brewing Dean...and this house..." she felt a shiver go up her spine.

"Yeah," Dean said as he looked up at his old home "I know the feeling," he got out of the Impala, Phoenix following shortly after.

Sam knocked on the front door and a woman answered.

"Yes?" The woman asked.

"Sorry to bother you, ma'am, but we're with the Federal..." Dean started to explain.

"I'm Sam Winchester." Sam interrupted "and this is my brother, Dean, and our friend Phoenix. We used to live here. You know, we were just drivin' by, and we were wondering if we could come see the old place,"

"Winchester." Jenny mused "Yeah, that's so funny. You know, I think I found some of your photos the other night,"

"You did?" Dean asked shocked.

Jenny nodded and stepped aside. "Come on in,"

The trio walked inside and headed into the kitchen.

A young girl was at the table doing homework.

A toddler boy was in his playpen. "Juice! Juice! Juice! Juice!"

"That's Ritchie." The woman explained "He's kind of a juice junkie." she took a sippy cup out of the refrigerator and handed it to Ritchie. "But, hey, at least he won't get scurvy." The woman walked over to the girl "Sari, this is Sam, Dean, and Phoenix. They used to live here,"

"Hi," Sari greeted.

Dean waved.

"Hey, Sari," Sam said.

"So, you just moved in?" Dean wondered.

"Yeah, from Wichita," The woman replied.

"You got family here, or..."

"No. I just, uh...needed a fresh start, that's all. So, new town, new job-I mean, as soon as I find one. New house,"

"So, how you likin' it so far?" Sam questioned.

"Well, uh, all due respect to your childhood home...I mean, I'm sure you had lots of happy memories here."

Dean smiled weakly.

"But this place has its issues,"

"What do you mean?" Phoenix wondered.

"Well, it's just getting old. Like the wiring, you know? We've got flickering lights almost hourly,"

"What else?"

"Um...sink's backed up, there are rats in the basement." The woman paused "I'm sorry. I don't mean to complain,"

"Have you seen the rats or have you just heard scratching?"

"It's just the scratching, actually,"

"Mom?" Sari called out "Ask them if it was here when they lived here,"

Phoenix knelt down next to Sari "What, Sari?"

"The thing in my closet,"

"Oh, no, baby, there was nothing in their closets." The woman looked at Sam and Dean "Right?"

"Right." Sam nodded.

"She had a nightmare the other night," The woman explained.

"I wasn't dreaming." Sari argued "It came into my bedroom and it was on fire,"

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix walked towards the Impala.

Phoenix had her arms wrapped around herself as she was deep in thought about what had just transpired.

"You hear that?" Sam voiced "A figure on fire,"

"And that woman, Jenny, that was the woman in your dreams?" Dean wondered.

"Yeah. And you hear what she was talking about? Scratching, flickering lights, both signs of a malevolent spirit,"

"Yeah, well, I'm just freaked out that your weirdo visions are comin' true,"

"Well, forget about that for a minute. The thing in the house, do you think it's the thing that killed Mom and Jessica?"

"I don't know!" Dean exclaimed causing Phoenix to jump at the outburst.

"Well, I mean, has it come back, or has it been here the whole time?"

"Or maybe it's something else entirely," Phoenix spoke up.

"Well, those people are in danger, Phoe. We have to get 'em out of that house,"

"And we will," Dean said.

"No, I mean now,"

"And how you gonna do that, huh? You got a story that she's gonna believe?"

"Then what are we supposed to do?"

Dean shrugged "We just gotta chill out, that's all. You know, if this was any other kind of job, what would we do?"

Sam sighed "We'd try to figure out what we were dealin' with. We'd dig into the history of the house,"

"Exactly, except this time, we already know what happened,"

"Yeah, but how much do we know? I mean, how much do you actually remember?"

"About that night, you mean?"

"Yeah,"

"Not much." Dean shrugged "I remember the fire...the heat. And then I carried you out the front door?"

"You did?"

"Yeah, what, you never knew that?"

Sam shook his head "No,"

"And, well, you know Dad's story as well as I do. Mom was...was on the ceiling. And whatever put her there was long gone by the time Dad found her,"

"And he never had a theory about what did it?" Phoenix questioned.

"If he did, he kept it to himself,"