Faith [5]

"Dean said that he stopped Roy from doing the ritual," Sam reasoned.

"Then it's not Roy doing the controlling!" Phoenix argued.

"Then who is?"

Phoenix looked over at the reaper as he continued towards them. "Please...tell me," she whispered.

Phoenix and the reaper held eye contact as though holding a silent conversation only one could hear inside their head.

Phoenix nodded. "It's Sue Ann. You have to tell Dean to stop Sue Anne,"

The reaper nodded his head as he disappeared in a mist.

"Thank god," The protester breathed out in relief.

***

"So, Roy really believes," Sam reasoned as the group sat around their motel room.

Phoenix shook her head. "I don't think he has any idea what his wife's doing,"

"Phoe and I found this hidden in their library," Sam showed Dean the book. "It's ancient, written by a priest who went dark side. There's a binding spell in here for trapping a reaper,"

"Must be a hell of a spell," Dean noted.

"Yeah." Phoenix scoffed. "You got to build a black altar with seriously dark stuff...bones, human blood. To cross a line like that, that preacher's wife...black magic, murder..."

"Evil," Sam implied

"Desperate," Phoenix corrected. "Her husband was dying. She'd have done anything to save him. She was using the spell to keep the reaper away from Roy,"

"Cheating death," Sam chuckled. "Literally,"

"But Roy is alive," Dean pointed out, "so why is she still using the spell?"

"To force the reaper to kill people she thinks are immoral,"

"God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work," Dean said with a shake of his head.

Phoenix glanced down sadly as her fingers played around with her locket.

"We got to break that binding spell," Sam said.

Dean looked down at a marked page. "You know, Sue Ann had a coptic cross like this. When she dropped it, the reaper backed off,"

"So you think we got to find the cross or destroy the altar?" Sam wondered.

"Both," Phoenix spoke up. "Better safe than sorry, and we need to do it soon. Roy's healing Layla tonight,"

***

Dean sighed as they drove up to the tent. "That's Layla's car,"

"She's already here," Sam noted.

"Yeah..." Phoenix said, upset.

"Phoe..."

"If Roy would've picked Layla instead of me," Dean said, "she'd be healed right now,"

"Dean, don't,"

"And if she's not healed tonight," Phoenix continued, "she's gonna die in a couple months,"

"What's happening to her is horrible. But what are you gonna do...let somebody die to save her? You said it yourself, Dean...you can't play God,"

Phoenix shook her head and got out of the Impala. She walked over to the tent and saw the commune preparing for the ceremony.

"Where's Sue Ann?" Dean questioned.

"House," Sam reasoned.

"You boys, go find Sue Ann," Phoenix said as she felt the hairs on her arm stick up. "I'll catch up,"

"What are you..." 

Phoenix walked off amongst the other vehicles before either of the Winchesters could argue.

"She knows what she's doing," Dean said as he patted Sam's shoulder, "Come on,"

Sam leads the way to the storm shelter.

Dean nodded over to where the altar was set up. He frowned when he saw the picture at the center. "Oh, shit," Dean showed Sam the picture of Phoenix, taken from the commune, a red bloody x covering her face.