Pilot [4]

"Phoe!"

Phoenix looked down and sighed in relief as she saw Sam had caught himself on the edge of the bridge and was hanging on. Holding out her hand, Sam grabbed on and she pulled him up.

Sam looked around "Dean? Dean!" Below, a filthy and annoyed Dean crawled out of the water and onto the mud, panting.

"What?" Dean called out.

"Hey! Are you all right?"

Dean held up one hand in an A-OK sign. "I'm super,"

Phoenix laughed, as Sam sighed relieved, and scooted away from the edge.

***

Dean shut the hood of his car and leaned on it.

"Your car all right?" Phoenix asked as she walked over to him.

"Yeah, whatever she did to it, seems all right now. That Constance chick, what a bitch!" Dean exclaimed.

"Well, she doesn't want us digging around, that's for sure." Phoe leaned against the Impala "So where's the job go from here, genius?" Before Dean could reply, Sam settled on the hood next to Dean.

Sam sniffed, then looked at Dean. "You smell like a toilet,"

Dean looked down.

***

~ November 2, 2005, ~

A VersaBank MasterCard in the name of Hector Aframian landed on a handwritten guest ledger.

"Two rooms, please," Dean said as he stood at the motel check-in desk, still filthy, with Sam and Phoenix standing right behind him.

"One room is fine," Phoe said as the Clerk picked up the card and looked at it.

"You guys having a reunion or something?" The Clerk asked

"What do you mean?" Sam asked

"I had another guy, Burt Aframian. He came and bought out a room for the whole month,"

Dean looked back at Sam.

***

The motel door swung open. Sam was on the other side, having just picked the lock. He hid the picks and stood up.

Dean was outside, playing lookout until Phoenix grabbed his shoulder and yanked him inside.

Sam closed the door behind them. They look around-every vertical surface had papers pinned to it: maps, newspaper clippings, pictures, notes. There were books on the desk and assorted junk on the floor and bed, including something with a hazardous-materials symbol.

"Whoa," Phoe said as she looked around the room.

Dean turned on a light by the bed and picked up a half-eaten hamburger sitting there.

Sam stepped over a line of salt on the floor.

Dean sniffed the burger and recoiled. "I don't think he's been here for a couple of days at least," he stated

Sam fingered the salt on the floor and looked up.

"Salt, cats-eye shells..." Phoenix listed

"He was worried." Sam figured

"Trying to keep something from coming in,"

Dean looked at the papers covering one wall.

"What have we here?" Sam asked