Wendigo

~10 Nov. 2005~

Sam jerked awake, he was riding shotgun next to Dean, Phoenix sitting in the back seat, her head turning towards Sam from his sudden movement.

"You okay?" Phoe asked

Sam glanced back at her and away. "Yeah, I'm fine,"

Phoenix looked at Dean, who nodded.

"Another nightmare?" Dean asked.

Sam cleared his throat.

"You wanna drive for a while?"

Sam laughed "Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that,"

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind,"

"Look, man, you're worried about me..." Sam looked back at Phoenix "Both of you are. I get it and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay,"

"Mm-hm," Phoenix hummed.

Sam grabbed a map "All right, where are we?"

"We are just outside of Grand Junction," Dean reported.

Sam folded down the map, which was of Colorado and had a large red X labeled 35-111. "You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon,"

Phoenix groaned "Here we go again,"

"Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-" Dean explained

"We gotta find Dad first," Sam finished

"Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence. Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do,"

"It's weird, man. These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge,"

"What about it?"

"There's nothing there. It's just the woods." Sam put down the map "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"

They drove past the National Forest sign that said, 'Welcome to Lost Creek Colorado National Forest'.

***

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote," Phoenix said as she and Sam looked at a 3D map of the national forest, paying particular attention to the ridge labeled 'Blackwater Ridge'.

Dean looked at the decorations.

"It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place,"

"Dude, check out the size of this freaking bear," Dean said.

Sam and Phoenix looked over.

Dean was looking at a framed photo of a man standing behind a much larger bear. The duo went to stand next to Dean.

"And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure," Phoenix informed.

A forest ranger, Ranger Wilkinson, walked up behind them; when he spoke, Dean, Sam, and Phoenix whipped around, startled. "You three aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance?"

"Oh, no, sir," Sam said "we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper,"

Phoenix laughed a little.

Dean grinned and raised a fist.

"Recycle, man," Dean said.

"Bull," The Ranger said.