Dead in the Water [2]

Dean was inside the motel room sitting on a bed.

Sam opened the door and came in, knocking on the connecting door that lead to Phoenix's room. He took a seat next to Dean. "So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie,"

"What do you mean?" Phoenix asked as she came into the room

"I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead,"

"He drowned?" Dean questioned

"Yep. In the sink,"

"What the hell?" Dean looked over at Phoe "So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else,"

"Yeah, but what?" Phoenix asked

"I don't know." Dean shrugged "Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water...water that comes from the same source,"

"The lake,"

"Yeah,"

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining." Sam realized "It'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time,"

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere,"

Phoenix stood up from the wall "This is gonna happen again soon...And we do know one other thing for sure."

Both boys looked over at Phoe.

"We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton,"

Dean nodded "Yeah, it took both his kids,"

"And I've been asking around." Sam said "Lucas's dad, Cris-Bill Carlton's godson,"

"Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit," Phoenix suggested

***

Bill Carlton was sitting on the bench on the dock.

"Mr. Carlton?" Phoenix called out

Bill looked up as Sam, Dean and Phoe approached.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind,"

"We're from the Department..." Dean started

Bill interrupted Dean "I don't care who you're with. I've answered enough questions today,"

"Your son said he saw something in that lake." Sam said "What about you? You ever see anything out there?"

"Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and WIll's death-we think there might be a connection to you or your family," Phoenix explained

"My children are gone." Bill said "It's...it's worse than dying. Go away. Please,"

Sam, Dean, and Phoe headed back to the car.

"What do you think?" Sam asked

"Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell," Dean said

"I also think he's not telling us something," Phoe claimed

Sam leaned on the Impala "So now what?" he noticed Phoenix go still "Phoe?"

Phoenix was looking at the Carlton house "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something," she pulled out the picture Lucas brought her, which was of the Carlton house.

***

"I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea," Andrea voiced

"I just need to talk to him," Phoenix reasoned "Just for a few minutes,"

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?"

"Andrea, I think more people might get hurt. I think something's happening out there,"

"My husband, the others, they just drowned. That's all,"

"If that's what you really believe, then I'll go. But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me talk to your son,"

***

Lucas was coloring, toy soldiers standing around him.

Phoenix and Andrea approached the doorway.

Phoe entered and crouched down by Lucas "Hey, Lucas. You remember me?"

Lucas had drawn two more pictures of a red bicycle.

"You know, I, uh, I wanted to thank you for that last drawing. But the thing is, I need your help again,"

Lucas was drawing a person in the water.

Phoenix opened the house picture and put it down in front of Lucas "How did you know to draw this? Did you know something bad was gonna happen? Maybe you could nod yes or no for me,"

Lucas kept coloring.

"You're scared. It's okay. I understand. See, when I was your age, I saw something real bad happen to my brother, and I was scared, too. But see, my boyfriend-I know he wanted me to be brave, wants me to be brave. I think about him every day. And I do my best to be brave, because I know I'll see him again. And your dad...he wants you to be brave too,"

Lucas dropped his crayon and looked up at Phoe. He handed Phoenix a picture of a white church, a yellow house, and a boy with a blue baseball cap and a red bicycle in front of a wooden fence.

"Thanks, Lucas,"

***

Dean and Sam were waiting in the Impala when Phoenix entered the backseat holding the church picture.

"Andrea said the kid never drew like that till his dad died," Phoe explained

"There are cases-going through a traumatic experience could make people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies,"

"Whatever's out there, what if Lucas is tapping into it somehow? I mean, it's only a matter of time before somebody else drowns, so if you got a better lead, please," Dean argued

Phoe nodded "All right, we got another house to find,"

"The only problem is there are about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone,"

Phoenix looked at the picture "See this church? I bet there's less than a thousand of those around here,"

"Oh, College Girl thinks she's so smart," Dean said while rolling his eyes.

Phoe leaned in so she was between Sam and Dean "College Girl has magical powers and can kill you with just the snap of her fingers if you mock her again,"

Sam smirked as Dean's eyes widened briefly and they quickly drove off towards the location of Lucas' picture.