Chaperones and New Cities

The night before the sports festival.  My last chance to see exactly what all my hard work had gotten me.  It had taken all week, but I finally managed to perfect my newest theory.  The platforms and walls I created with the molecules in the air were still rather elastic, but I was able to use them almost like mini trampolines rather than the solid surfaces I had originally intended.  It was using those that I was finally able to fight Mirio into a draw -- something that I still almost couldn't believe had actually happened.  Still, there was one more thing that I needed to perfect before tomorrow.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, slowing my heartrate as much as I could before quickly sending my quirk outwards in all directions.  Images formed in my mind, one by one -- the hallway, the kitchen, and Aizawa sleeping on the couch were as clear as if I was staring right at them.  But it wasn't enough.  I would be needing a lot more than just one apartment.  My quirk rushed out further and further, through the streets and past individual buildings.  Before long, my head was pounding as images of hundreds, thousands of people milling about their daily lives.  Cooking in their homes, sitting with their families, walking along the sidewalks.  All of it crammed itself into my head at once as I reached further and further until, finally, my eyes snapped back open as I gasped in a harsh breath of air.  My head was absolutely splitting by now — it felt as though my skull had taken a dagger to it.  This always happened when I tried to activate my quirk with only my mind.  And all of this for not even half the city.  It wasn't much, but it would have to do.  I had officially run out of time.

---

The next morning, I had finally arrived on school grounds, my heart racing nervously.  My plan was already risky enough, but depending on which teacher they had decided to match me with, it could suddenly get all the more difficult.  God forbid they decided to match me with Vlad King.  A shiver ran up my spine just at the thought of having to spend the whole day with that man.

The moment I stepped into the school, my breath caught in my throat, my eyes wide.  "(Y/N), this is who will be watching over you for the day," Aizawa jutted his chin out in the direction of the pro hero standing in front of us.

I have never been more ok with anything else in my life.

"It's nice to officially meet you, Ms. (L/N).  I'm Power Loader."  The man currently donning the massive metal contraption on top of his head smiled kindly down at me, sticking his hand out for me to shake.

"It's nice to meet you, sir!  Just (Y/N) is fine!" I grinned and grabbed his hand excitedly, pumping it up and down.  I may not have known very much about him, but there was no way he was anything but the nicest, most patient man on the face of the planet for him to have to deal with Hatsume all day long.  And even more amazing was that, as far as I could tell, he didn't seem to hold very much prejudice against me, if any at all.  In other words, I was incredibly pleased with this choice of chaperone.

"I have to go deal with the human migraine.  Don't get in trouble, and don't die," Aizawa called over his shoulder dismissively.  My heart immediately jolted at his little farewell before I started laughing in an attempt to disguise my short moment of hesitation.  It might be more difficult to do what he asked than one would normally imagine.

"So, what would you like to do today?" Power Loader asked, grinning down at me again.  "We can walk around the city if you want.  I know you haven't had many chances to look around."

I took a moment to steel my resolve further.  No turning back now.  Quickly, I painted an excited look over my face, my eyes wide and practically sparkling.  "If you don't mind, I really wanna see Hosu!"

"Hosu?" Power Loader frowned slightly, confused.  I couldn't blame the guy.  It's not like Hosu was a much larger or more popular city.  To be completely honest, it would make much more sense for us to stay here.  Still, if I had any hope of accomplishing my task for the day, there was no way I could stay here.