Chapter 26

• Dedicated to Laiba M.

After my mom left the room, I stared up at the ceiling, pondering the thought that had just crossed my mind.  Did I love him? Or was I only coming to that conclusion because he really did love me?  I groan, running my fingers through my hair.  I got up and walk over to my phone, picking it up and calling Nash, my only real friend at this point.

“Yo.” I hear his voice say on the other end of the phone after a few seconds of the ringing tone.

“Hey, are you busy?” I ask, mindlessly walking around my room.

“Oh. Hey, Riley.” He says and I could practically hear the smile behind his voice. “I don’t have a shipment coming in until next week, if that’s what you’re calling for.” He adds, of course that would be assumed, but for once, drugs won’t solve this problem.

“No, no... I just want to hang out…” I respond, opening up my closet, pointlessly rummaging through the black fabric hanging on the plastic white hangers.

“Oh, Yeah... Sure.” He says, “My place?” He adds.

“Yeah, I’ll be over in a bit.” I tell him and hang up after he agrees.

I drive over to Nash’s place and knock on his door in the not-so-safe neighborhood. After a few seconds he opens the door and a smile immediately forms on his face when he sees me. “Hey, Riley.” He says, pulling me into a small hug. “How have you been?” He asks after bringing me inside.

“I’m good, just wanted to talk.” I say, taking a seat on his couch.

“Alright… and hey, I’m sorry for missing your dad’s funeral.. I was out of town again, if I wasn’t I sure as hell would have been there for you..” He says, grabbing two beers from his fridge, handing me one before sitting down next to me.

I shrug, “It’s fine.. I’m just trying to move on from all that.” I say. “It’s probably better that you weren’t there to see the chaos… anyways; that’s not what I wanted to talk about..” I say, opening up the bottle.

He nods, “Alright, Well I’m all ears, babe.” He says, taking a swig of his drink as I do.

I take a deep breath, “How do you know you love someone?” I ask, biting my lip slightly as I looked over at him, waiting for an answer.

He smirks lightly and raises a brow, “Does this have to do with you and Luke?” He asks and when I don’t respond, he received his answer, “I have to say, I’m quite surprised.” He chuckles, taking another sip of the beer.

I roll my eyes playfully, “Just shut up and help me out, Nash.” I smile softly.

He chuckles once more but nods, clearing his throat a bit. “When you love someone, you don’t see yourself ever being with anyone else… It’s when you want to be with that person every second of every day, and you don’t feel the same when they are not around..” He answers, his smile now gone as he spoke seriously, as if he had experienced love first hand, which I didn’t think he had. Nash hasn’t really had a steady girlfriend before.

“You sound like you know your stuff…” I say, taking a sip of the drink, thinking about what he had said.

He shrugs, “Maybe I’ve been in love before...” He says, looking down at his multi-stained, previously white, carpet.

“With who?” I ask curiously. Did he actually have a steady girlfriend that I never knew about?

He shakes his head, “It’s not important anymore...” He says. “So what are you gonna tell him if you really do love him?” he asks, changing the topic.