Chapter 6

I sit at the edge of my bed, my face in my hands. I let out a breath that I had held in for a while and remove my hands from my face. I take another deep breath, calming myself from the meltdown I just had. I look down at the floor, picking up a picture frame that I had shattered on the floor in my event of rage and sudden sorrow. Why did I keep this picture? I thought I had gotten rid of everything that reminded me of him… of us. I sigh remembering what I thought was the worst day of my life. I didn’t think anything could be worse than that day, but my parents found a way to make it happen, of course.

I throw the cracked picture frame and pieces of glass in the garbage can in the corner of my room. I hesitate for a minute but toss the picture in as well. I can’t keep reminding myself of something that wasn’t real, no matter how real it felt. I can’t keep re-living something, someone, who was capable of breaking my heart in a way that it never has been hurt before.

I lie down on my bed, folding my arms behind my head as I looked up at the celling. I wasn’t going to go back downstairs. I’m not going to look at the people who gave me life, just to fuck it up over and over again. I run my fingers through my hair as I feel my headache from earlier coming back. Great… that’s all I need now.

After about 30 minutes and 2 cigarettes I hear a knock on the door. Do my parents really have the nerve to try and talk to me now, after what they have just done? “Go away.” I say, loud enough for them to hear from behind the door.

I don’t hear a response from behind the door, or even another knock. Just silence. That’s... strange. They usually just keep knocking until I give in or until they get tired, which they usually do after about five minutes. I take another deep breath and get up, a bit curious. “Look, I don’t want to-” I say and open the door only to have the blonde haired jerk walk straight past me and into my room.

“Look, I didn’t mean to act like such a dick the other day...” He says and turns around to face me as I look at him confused.

“What… who the hell let you in?” I ask, squint my eyes a bit. There is no way my parents would just invite a guy to our house, which they don’t even know.

“Uh, your front door was open... but that's irrelevant." He says and shakes his head. My eyes widen slightly, but he continues anyways. "I wasn't trying to offend you about where you lived or anything like that..." He continues talking as he looked straight at me.

Was he really apologizing to me? And for what? Implying that my house wasn't up to his standards? "Luke, I really don't give a shit about what you said, believe me... that's not my biggest problem right now." I say, walking over to the edge of my bed as I sit down on the corner of it.

"So you’re not mad?" He asks, turning and walking over so he’s standing in front of me.

“Not at you, not right now.” I say, looking up at him as I try to not get annoyed at him continuing to talk.

He lets out a sigh of relief as I told him that and he sits down next to me as I tried not to let his closeness bother me. “So do you normally just walk into people’s houses without an invitation?” I ask as I looked over at him.

He chuckles softly, “Well I knew you wouldn’t let me in if I knocked.” He answers. Good point, I probably would’ve closed the door in his face.

“Well, now you know I’m not mad… so, what are you still doing here?” I ask, raising my eyebrow a bit. He scratches the back of his neck. I found it amusing how uncomfortable he felt in here.

“I, uh- I don’t know… maybe you wanted to hang out, or something?” He suggests. 

I narrow my eyes as I looked at him, “Just because I’m not mad at you right now, doesn’t mean I don’t like you any less than I did before.” I say.

He nods and stands up. “Yeah… right.” He says and clears his throat, and I see him glance at my hand which was bruising from the impact it just had on the wall.

I sigh, knowing I was being a bit harsh on him when he really didn’t do anything wrong. “Let me just fix, this...” I say and hold up my hand. “…and we can talk, okay?” I finish. He nods and sits back on the edge of my bed as I stood up. I don’t know why I agreed to talk to him. I guess it’s because he’s the only one who really asked.

I walk out into the hall and straight into the bathroom. I close the door behind me and pull out some bandages from the medicine cabinet. I turn on the faucet and let the water run for a second before putting my hand under the cool water. “Fuck.” I mumble as the water stings the cuts formed around the bruising. I turn of the water and dry off my hand and wrap it in the bandage. I look up from the sink and take a look at myself. I am almost startled by what I see looking back at me. I looked horrible. Literally like a piece of shit. My hair was a mess and my make-up, forget about it. I wash my face and pull my hair up into a bun to try and at least look half way to almost decent before heading back to my room.

When I walk back inside I see Luke leaned against my dresser, with the picture I just tossed out in his hand. I immediately rush over to him and snatch the picture from his hand. “Okay, so you walk into people’s houses and look through their trash too!?”

He shrugs, “So who’s the dude?” He asks, seeming a bit amused and definitely more comfortable than he was before. Could he not fucking answer me?

“That’s none of your fucking business.” I snap and he holds his hands up in defense.

“You too look like quite the cute couple in that photo.” He says and smirks.

“Don’t touch my shit.” I say, ignoring him and opening my dresser and throwing the picture inside it as if that would keep Luke from taking it again.

He chuckles, “Fine, don’t tell me… I’ll find out soon enough.” He says.

I roll my eyes, “I said it was none of your fucking business so stop talking about it.” I say sternly.

“No problem princess.” He says and winks.

“And now you’re completely back to being the dick you normally are.” I say and sigh; it was nice while it lasted. He simply just laughs and walks out my room and down the stairs to the living room and I follow.

When I walk down the stairs and back to the living room, as I look around I notice my parents weren’t here. That’s probably how Luke got in undetected. I love how they left a note or told me where they were going… note the sarcasm.

“Where are your folks?” He asks as he plops down on the couch like he owns the place.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” I respond, crossing my arms as I looked over at him.

“Yeah, I would actually. I mean, you said they were going to worry if you weren’t home earlier…” He says and smirks.

“Just shut up.” I answer. “You apparently know everything already, so stop asking me shit you don’t even care about… now are you going to tell me why you’re still here, or would you like me to show you the door?” I say.

He sighs and sits up, as I sit down on the opposite end of the couch. “Look, my friends don’t think I could get you to-” He starts but I cut him off.

“Oh, I see, yeah, I’m part of the little game you guys have going on or something.” I say. “I’m not playing.” I add, standing up again.

“Look, I’m not asking you to fuck me, I’m just asking for a favor.” He says, as he stood up too.  

I roll my eyes again, “And in why in the world would I do a favor for you?” I say, crossing my arms as I raised my eyebrow. There is nothing he could possibly say that could make me help him impress his arrogant friends…

“I know Dylan.”

…except that.