Chapter 7

I want to smack the stupid grin that forms on his face when he realizes that I gave into his little ‘compromise’. It was more of blackmail if you ask me… “So what exactly do I have to do for you to keep quiet?” I ask again, making sure he was clear.

“All you have to do is pretend to be my girl for a little while… like just hang with me at parties, kiss me every once in a while..” He says casually and sips the Pepsi he retrieved from my fridge without even asking a few minutes ago.

“Whoa, I have to kiss you?!” I my eyes widen a bit as I had my arms crossed while I leaned on the kitchen counter as he sat in one of the stools. There is no way I was kissing him. I’d rather him talk to Dylan or whatever he planned to do if I didn’t agree to this.

He shrugs, “I mean… you don’t have to. Would you rather I call Dylan and ask about Riley?” He says, his smirk re-appearing.

“Yes!” I lie. “No…”I say and sigh as he begins to take out his phone. “Do I have to kiss you?” I whine. I really didn’t want to. God only knows where his mouth has been. I don’t want to kiss someone who has kissed more girls than people I even know.

“I brush my teeth if that’s what’s holding you back.” He says and chuckles. “I’m giving you the chance to do something that any girl at school would die for.” He says. Wow, it’s great to know that he’s still cocky as fuck.

I roll my eyes, knowing that I wouldn’t get my way around this. I had no other choice but to agree with this stupid plan. “Fine, no more than 3 seconds…” I say.

“10.” He says, the corner of his mouth turned up. Was he really going to bicker with me about this too? There’s no way I’m giving in on this.

“Fuck no! 3.” I tell him and scoff. 10 fucking seconds of kissing him… 3 seconds was enough to make me want to puke afterwards, never mind 10. I was being generous with 3.

“6.” He says, looking over at me and trying to convince me with his beautiful, icy blue eyes. Wait. What the fuck did I just say? ‘Beautiful?’ Oh god, there is definitely still something from last night that I drank still inside me.

“5.” I say, as he looked into my eyes. I blink, and blink again before I look around. What did I just do?

His eyes light up and he laughs clapping his hands together. “Works for me princess.” He says and winks, taking another sip from the tin can. I take a deep breath and let it out. That was not fair. I definitely wasn’t thinking clearly before I responded to his suggestion. Great, now he was completely amused that I agreed to kiss him longer, and let him win…again. “I hate you.” I say and he just chuckles.

“You’re the one who added 2 more seconds.” He counters and smiles and like I felt before, I just want to smack that fucking grin off his face. “Well, the fun will begin tonight.” He says, taking another drink before looking back over at me.

“What?”

“Tonight, there’s a partly and my friend Derek’s place…” He answers, as If the whole world already knew that but me. I raise my eyebrow. “You know, Derek… quarterback... dating that super-hot blonde Rachel?” He says and I recognize who he is talking about. That girl is always hooked around his arm and is always talking about how good of a kisser he is to every other girl in homeroom. Not to mention the other details about their ‘wonderful’ relationship that I would much rather cut my ears off than have to listen to again.

“Such a loving couple. They keep their private live so secluded and kept to themselves. I hope I can have a relationship like that one day.” I say sarcastically. He chuckles slightly at my statement and I smile softly.

“Man, the shit Andy tells us.” He starts and a smirk is on his face as he replays the stories in his mind, I would only guess.

“I know.” I say and cringe just by thinking about it.

“You know Rachel?” He asks and I laugh. I don’t want to know her. She’s one of those typical snarky, rich, bitchy cheerleaders you see in the movies. She has one of the most annoying voices I have ever heard in my life, and the fact that its amplified much louder than it should be, allows everyone to hear what she is saying from across the hall.

“Hell no. She just has a big fucking mouth.” I answer, and Luke laughs.

“I was going to make another comment, but you would probably punch me.” He says and I roll my eyes.

“Yeah, you got that right, you’re disgusting.” I say and he laughs even more.

“I think the term you are looking for is ‘man’ princess, but let’s move on. I’m pretty sure you won’t hesitate to hit me.” He says and I smile softly as he was completely right. “So at the party…” He starts to say but I cut him off.

“Do all you guys do is go to parties?” I ask and he shrugs. “Pretty much.” He answers and I shake my head, this generation is really going downhill.

“Anyways, try not to be such a grumpy face...” He suggests and I raise my eyebrow. Grumpy face. Really? His five year old vocabulary is finally showing. “Just… play along, alright. Only rule.” He says and I sigh.

“Fine, whatever...” I say, this won’t be fun.  “And…?” I add, telling him he forgot to add the whole reason why I’m even agreeing to be his fake ‘girl’ in the first place. (I hated how he said ‘girl’, as if the word girlfriend was forbidden.)

“And… If you help me out and they believe me, I won’t call Dylan and I won’t ask about you or him or anything that has to do with either of you.” He clears up and I nod. I don’t know why, I just didn’t want him to know. I didn’t want anyone to know. I didn’t tell my parents, well It’s not like they would have cared… and I didn’t tell my closest friend, Amy who I talk to about everything despite her living 4,000 miles away from me since 10th grade. It just wasn’t the best thing. In fact, it was the only thing that wounded my heart worse than how my mother had shattered it. It happened to a lot of girls. People who think they are in love. If I told it to some random person on the street, they would say it was no big deal, to just get over it. But he was my rock; he was the only good thing in my world and kept me from drowning in my tears every night. But what happened made me feel weak, vulnerable again. I don’t want anyone to even get the slightest idea that behind this shell of a girl is someone who is completely broken inside. I’m strong. I know I am. Or at least I thought I was.

“Do we have a deal?” Luke says. His voice making me look back up at him and out of my thought.

“Yeah.” I nod, and sigh softly holding out my hand.

“I think it should be sealed with a kiss.” He says and the corners of his mouth turn up again forming his signature smile.

“Just shake my hand asshole, I don’t have all day.” I say and he chuckles, putting his hand in mine as we sealed the deal. I was his fake bitch but my secret was still mine, and only mine, for now at least. It’s wasn’t the fairest deal, but it was probably all he would agree to.

“I’ll pick you up at 9 and don’t bother looking for something to wear, I’ll bring you something.” He says, taking another sip of his drink. God only knows what this boy has planned for tonight.