Chapter 17

Sunday.

Its only Sunday.

This entire weekend has felt like an entire lifetime smashed into only a few days. I lie down in my bed. My stupid, thin curtains barely block out any of the early morning light shining from outside. I groan as the sunlight decides to peek through and shine right into my sleepless eyes. I pull my comforter over my head in attempt to shield myself from the light. It's early. Too early to wake up from the night I've had.

With one more groan I pull off my covers despite my desire to stay in bed for the rest of my life. I sit up at the edge of my bed with my feet resting on the cold wood flooring. I look over at my alarm clock noticing the time was 10:15am, I get up and walk straight into my bathroom and start up a shower.

After telling Luke to bring me home last night from the hospital, I walked straight upstairs ignoring whatever it is that my mother was trying to tell me. I didn't want to speak to the women who didn't even try to see her husband in the hospital after he was just in a serious car crash. It was like she didn't even care. Yes, they are getting a divorce, but that is no excuse in this case.

I step out the shower after a long time of soaking in the warm water which didn't help clear my mind as much as I had hoped it would. I grab Luke's boxers and t-shirt before leaving my bathroom and padding back down the hall to my room. I change into a pair of black jeans and a black lose fitting sweater. I don't bother to touch my wet hair and I would rather not look into my mirror this morning too scared to see what I looked like.

I walk down the steps, not finding my mother in the kitchen or living room; I just open the front door and walk out onto the porch. The cold morning air chills my just-washed body as I stand outside.

I pull out my lighter and pack of cigarettes from my hoodie pocket, planning on finishing the last three in the pack before I go back inside. I light up one and close my eyes, inhaling the smoke as I feel it travel to my lungs. I cough harshly, that was too big of a drag this early in the morning.

"If you keep at it you're gonna kill yourself." I hear my mother's voice speak from behind me, and I don't bother to acknowledge her unwanted presence.

"Good, I've got nothing to lose..." I reply, taking another long drag this time releasing it cleanly out into the air.

"I just got off the phone with the hospital. They called this morning with an update." She tells me, now standing next to me but I don't want to look at her, only scared to see myself looking directly back. I don't respond, waiting for her to continue on with what they told her in the phone. "They said that the swelling has gotten worse, much worse even though its only been one night." She tells me, and I turn to face her.

"What are you saying?" I ask my mother.

"The doctors say he's not going to wake up, they put him in a cat scan last night and saw how bad the damage really is..." She continues and I am already annoyed with her voice but I am more than worried about my father who I would like to believe actually cares a little bit about me.

"Could you get to the point?" I snap, impatiently waiting for her to tell me the information I know that she's holding back.

"I think we should come inside and talk about it..." she tells me, wrapping her sweater around her frail body.

I take another drag and don't bother turning my head to blow the smoke away. Instead I blow the smoke in her face, despite how much she hated the smell of cigarettes. "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what the doctors told you." I say sternly, shivering slightly from my wet hair attracting the winter breeze.

My mother takes a deep breath and looks down momentarily. "The doctors gave us an option..." she starts and I wait for her to continue, tapping on my burning cigarette. "They said we can pull the plug if we wan-"