Chapter 29

I was on cloud 9. In my state of unconsciousness there was an area of relaxation. I could breathe in this place; truly take a deep breath without the consequence of feeling any pain. I felt nothing, which in return felt fucking incredible.

I danced around in the never-ending flood of happiness until I spun around and came upon a door. I was confused, as to what the door was doing there in the empty space, but I felt the need to open it, wondering where it led too.

I open up the door and walk into my home. I had just gotten back from school, and my mother was in the kitchen, making macaroni and cheese. Even though it was the boxed ones, it was my favorite thing to eat at my young age and a bright smile lit up on my face. What I had thought happened on this day was my mother got too drunk to remember to say happy birthday. But here, in this place; she was sober and a great mother.

"Hey! There's the birthday girl!" My mother cheers from the kitchen and I blush slightly.

"Hey kiddo!" My dad chimes excitedly, pulling me into a big, warm hug.

"Go up to your room baby. Daddy and I left you a few surprises." She smiles and winks. I nod and break free from my dads loving hug and happily skip up to my room and open my bedroom door. There were boxes upon boxes of gifts on top of my bed. I laugh excitedly as I run over to my bed and begin ripping through the presents, my smile getting bigger after every CD, Barbie doll, nail polish, and toy that came from the boxes. I hear a knock on my bedroom door and know I need to thank my mother for all these presents that any newly 14 year old would die for. I get up and skip over to the door, opening it up.

"Hey, you ready to go, babe?" Dylan says after I open up the door. His hair gelled up nicely and beautiful smile on his face.

"Yup, let me just put on some lipstick." I smile and walk back into my house which now was bigger, much bigger, and was all my own. I find the nearest mirror and stand in front of it, my 23 year old self, looking stunning as my long, dark hair was curled perfectly, and what I had expected to be a lifeless face looking back, was a bright and happy one instead.

I grab the red lipstick from my purse and glide it along my lips, closing it and dropping the small tube back into the bag when I had finished. "Okay, I'm ready." I chuckle and walk back to the door, locking it, and closing it behind me as I took Dylan's hand, my boyfriend of now 8 years, today.

It being out anniversary, he was taking me out to a fancy dinner at one of the best restaurants in the city. Later on after the dinner we went to a nearby park, fingers intertwined, with our hands swinging back and fourth as we walked. It was a beautiful day, and we weren't in Washington anymore. We were somewhere warm, somewhere beautiful. The silent walk in the empty park was lovey. Just me and him, enjoying our little life together.

"Riley?" Dylan speaks and stops walking, turing to face me as he grabbed my other hand and looked into my eyes.

"Yes?" I respond and smile brightly, looking back at the person who meant the entire world to me.

"I love you so much.. So, so much, Riley..." He says, and I begin to get worried, wondering if he was going to break off this relationship that had been going on since high school.

I nod, "I love you too, more than anything." I say back, meaning every word.

He smiles, brushing his thumb on the back of my hand as he bit his lip. He seemed a bit nervous, which I didn't quite understand why he would be. "First off, happy 8 years.." He says and chuckles and I join him. "I love you." He says again and pecks my lips. "I should've prepared a speech or something, I know; I'm a horrible boyfriend." He adds and smiles, shaking his head as he chuckled once more. "But I promise you, I'm going to be the best fiancé..." He says softly and looks back into my eyes. I furrow my brows,