Chapter 4

I blink a few times, trying to come up with a logical reason as to how I ended up here. Right as I’m in my deep thought, Luke walks into his room and leans on his dresser. His hair messy and eyes tired, probably from the lack of sleep from the party last night.

“Rise and shine princess… unless you want to run into my mother on your way out.” He says, the ends of his lips pulled up into a slight smile. I sit up fully, and sigh heavily.

“How did I end up here?” I ask, looking over at him, trying not to wince at the pain in my head.

He smiles wider at my question, “Well, as much as I’d love to say you slept with me…” He says and I roll my eyes. “You just drank a little too much, threw up a few times and you pretty much passed out on the floor” He says and chuckles a bit, Fiddling with his lip piercing as he sank his teeth into the bottom of his lip. Honestly, he looked more attractive than ever, with his hair like that and… wait, what the hell am I saying? The drinks must still be in me a little bit.

“So, you could have just left me there.” I say. “Maybe I was comfortable.” I finish.

He lets out a faint chuckle and moves from his spot and over to the bedroom door. “I was expecting a ‘thank you’, but I’m sure I’ll be there to save you again so you can thank me then.” He says, just about to leave his room.

I narrow my eyes slightly, “You didn’t ‘save me’.” I say, a bit of anger in my tone. He didn’t ‘save me’. I didn’t need him to save me… or anyone for that matter. I was perfectly fine; I didn’t tell him to do anything. “I could have helped myself…” I add, looking down and fiddling with a loose string that hung from the bed sheets.

“Yeah, whatever you say princess.” He says, and chuckles again.

Right after his annoying snicker, I hear a car door slam. I immediately look over at Luke. His smile widens again, “My mom’s in for a treat this morning, when she sees you.” He says, and begins to walk away and down his stairs.

I quickly stumble out of the bed, practically tripping on the sheets that have fallen onto the floor. I follow him across the hall and down the stairs. “Hello! Where am I supposed to go?!” I say, whisper-yelling since I figured I could be heard by his mother if I yelled.

He furrows his eyebrows as he turns his head back to me for a split second, “The front door?” He answers, as if I had asked the stupidest question ever.

I glare at him, “Oh yeah, gee, Let me just head to the front door as you mother is about to walk in.” I say annoyed.

He shrugs, and I hear keys rustling in the door. “This should be good.” He says with his famous smirk plastered on his face. I close my eyes and bite my lip as the door opens. In my mind I had hoped that I would turn invisible and she wouldn’t see me standing right in the middle of the room when I closed my eyes, but of course, the world doesn’t work like that. I open my eyes up again as she walks through the door. I immediately notice her features and how much she resembled Luke.

“Luke could you help me with th-” She says, carrying a bunch of plastic bags but stops halfway through her sentence when she looks up at me. Her eyes practically light up, well, lit up would be an understatement. It looked like she was genuinely happy to see me… that’s a first for anyone. “Oh, Luke Honey... You didn’t tell me that you had a girl over.” She says, pulling in all that bags that Luke didn’t bother to even help her with, he’s such an ass. She sets them down on the counter and I am too speechless to say anything. I hold onto one of my arms as I stand silent in the middle of the room. “Well, Luke, are you going to introduce me to your beautiful girlfriend?” She asks, directing the question to Luke who was leaning on the couch with his arms folded, looking completely amused by this situation.

I burst out laughing when she asks him that. “No, Mrs. Hemmings, I am far from his girlfriend.” I say, wiping away fake tears.

“Oh.” Is all she responds as her smile fades a bit. I see Luke from the corner of my eye, roll his eyes and chuckle to himself. He walks over to the counter and grabs one of the water bottles that his mother had just bought. “Well Mom, Riley did spend the night in my room... So I don’t know what that makes her.” He says, walking past her and reaching for something in one of the cabinets. My eyes burn into the back of his head as I glare at him in frustration. As if this situation couldn’t get any more awkward, he had to say that just to get on my nerves.

“Riley? As in Riley Harper?” She asks looking back up at me, not even fazed by what Luke has implied had happened between us... she must hear it a lot.

“Uh yeah.” I answer, not knowing why that made a difference. She probably figured out that I’m the drunken Mrs. Harper’s daughter or some other news she herd around town.

“Oh, well I know your father, Robert? From Andy’s law firm?” She asks and I nod, not seeing what made it such a big deal. She smiles kindly, noticing my confusion. “Robert and I are good friends, well; I haven’t seen him since that terrible damage that my car had taken a few years back. Where has he been lately?” She asks, seeming a bit concerned as she continued removing the groceries from its bags.

“He’s been out on a lot of business trips lately.” I say and hold back my laughter at how that sounded. He clearly wasn’t out on any ‘business trips.’ He just wanted to stay as far away from my mother for however long he could.

“Oh, well make sure you thank him again for me. I would have never gotten a settlement check for the damage of my car if it weren’t for his law firm.” She says, and she finished settling all the food and items out of the bags and to where they needed to go.

“Finally.” Luke groans as he seems to have found what he had been searching for in the cabinets. “Here.” He says, fixing his shirt which had ridden up a bit before handing me a small bottle of Advil, and the bottle of water he had took before. He practically read my mind because I had been dying from this headache.

“Thanks.” I say genuinely and he just shrugs it off and walks back over to his spot by the couch. 

“Are you going to stay for breakfast dear?” She asks, taking a few things from out of the fridge.

“Uh, no. I really should get going… I don’t want my parents to worry.” I say and here Luke laugh to himself as I say that. I glare back at him and turn back to his sweet mother. I don’t get how he could be such a jerk one minute, and then the next do something almost sweet. Also, what seemed funny to him when she said that? I mean, I was holding back my laugh too because I know my parents don’t give a rats ass about me, but what does he know? He probably just herd everything that’s been going around town, as usual.

“Oh. That’s okay sweetie, maybe next time… well Luke would be happy to drive you home. Isn’t that right Luke?” She says, giving him that ‘I’m your mother so you have to listen to me’ look. He groans but grabs his jacket and keys from the counter. “Oh and Luke… Try to turn the parties down a couple notches, Or at least clean up afterwards…” She says, looking around at the cups and other random junk that was left on the floor as the aftermath of the party.

“Yeah, yeah... C’mon Riley let’s just get this over with...” He says opening the door. I find my jacket which was on the couch as well and put it on. I don’t remember taking it off last night, but apparently I did a lot of things that I don’t remember last night.

I give Luke’s mother a soft smile before walking out the door, and following Luke to his car. I don’t see why he was being an ass towards his mother. I know I’m not the perfect child when it comes to how I treat my parents, believe me, I’m far from perfect when it comes to that, but she was nothing like my mother. If anything, she was the complete opposite. She was totally calm with the party, and me being there. Even when she believed me and Luke had slept together, thanks to his choice of words to her, she didn’t seem mad. And yet, that dick strikes again and just doesn’t acknowledge her kindness. I swear, Luke doesn’t know how easy he has it in his life. He lives in a house which is honestly double the size of mine, and 10 times nicer. He clearly can do whatever he wants and suffers no consequences, and it’s the same in school too. Ugh, I just hate him… And I hate people who don’t realize how good they have life, no worries, no stress, just careless fun whenever they feel like being reckless.