Chapter 8

I wind up turning on the TV and watching it until I fall asleep on the couch. I was still pretty tired from not getting much sleep last night. I am awoken buy the sound of dishes clashing together in the kitchen. I sit up and run my fingers through my hair, turning to find the source of the noise. “Sorry hun.” My mother says as she pulls a few plates out of the kitchen cabinet and onto the counter. Hun? What the fuck? Since when does she call me that? I blink a few times when I notice a few pots on the stove, and the stove is on. I must still be dreaming because my mom doesn’t cook, not anymore. And there is no way she is still sober, it’s past 6… there has to be something wrong.

I give her a strange look; I am beyond confused right now. "I'm making some dinner. Your father is stopping by later." She says, stirring the contents in one of the pots.

"Uh, Okay? I thought he still lived here, why would he need to stop by at his own house?" I say, not really asking but more of just annoyed by this strange situation we are in. "I won't be here for dinner..." I add, standing up and walking to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water.

"Why?" She starts to ask but her eyes widen slightly. "What happened to your hand?" She asks as she notices the bandages wrapped around my hand.

I shrug, "It's no big deal..." I say twisting the cap and taking a swig of the water.

"Honey, did you do that toda-"

"Since when do you care? It's nothing, alright... just leave it alone." I say to her and she takes a small breath and continues to make dinner.

"Wherever you’re going tonight is not more important than us eating dinner together, as a family..." She speaks again, with her back turned to me as she added little ingredients to the food.

"I can't blow this off…" I tell her. There is no way Luke is going to let me skip this party. He’ll probably break our agreement if I don't go.

"Where is it that you would rather be?" She asks me.

"A party." I answer simply and shrug.

She raises her eyebrow slightly. "You were just at one last night. And you didn't come home since the morning after, if I may add." She says in almost a motherly tone.

"Yeah well my friend is coming to pick me up, and I'm not going to bail on him." I say, taking another sip of my water.

"Him?" She says and what appears to be a smile grows on her face.

I roll my eyes, "Yes mom, he’s a guy and we're going to a party. I don't give a shit about this dinner." I answer, and cross my arms.

"Honey, please just stay until dinner? You could even call your friend over and I'll set up a plate or him too. Then, you can go to your party and I won't stop you." She says and I sigh.

"Why does this matter so much?" I ask. I really didn't understand how a stupid dinner is so important.

"It could be our last dinner as a family. A nice, civilized dinner together is all I'm asking... Now are you going to call him or not?" She asks and I groan. Luke is definitely not going to be too happy when I tell him to come and eat dinner with my dysfunctional family. “Fine.” I give in and pull out my phone to call Luke.

After calling him, he debates with me for a few minutes about why he doesn’t want to come. I persuaded him to give in by telling him I’m doing way more for him than he is for me with this stupid fake hook up shit we’re starting. I toss my phone on my bed before heading into the shower. I still looked like shit from the night before so I thought I would try and look human tonight.

I spend what might be about an hour in the shower, before I step out in my towel and head to my room. The water bill is going to be through the roof but I don’t care, it might teach my mother responsibility since she’ll have to pay it. I open up my dresser to pick out my some clothes to wear and immediately see the picture I stashed in here earlier. I quickly take it out and place it upside down on top of my dresser. I’m tired of being reminded of it… But I can’t throw it out, as much I need to, I can’t. I clear my mind of the thoughts that seeing the picture brought to my head. I grab the first pair of pants I see, which were grey leggings and grab a white sweater from the next drawer, that is way too big but it’s comfortable so I don’t care.

I don’t bother with drying my hair or even putting on any make-up before going downstairs. My mom has food prepared on the table, with the fancy plates out that we never used and forks, and knives set on top of folded napkins. My mouth drops open as I stand at the end of the staircase. “You have to be kidding me.” I say, raising my eyebrows at the assortment of food on the tacky tablecloth. My mother clearly didn’t hear what I said as he continues to perfect the table; either that or she just chose to ignore me… I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case.

“Did you call your boyfriend? Is he coming over?” She asks when she notices me standing there.

I nearly choke on the air. “Mother, He’s not my boyf-.” I say but stop. I roll my eyes, tired of saying that for what is the second time today. “Luke’s gonna be here soon.” I answer. “Try not to scare him away.” I say, walking over to sit down on the couch. My mother was about to speak but I purposely cut her off. I really don’t want to start another argument. “When’s dad coming?” I ask.

“Soon.” She sighs, and finished turning our dining room table into a picture in a kitchen magazine. The door opens just after she finishes her answer and in walks my father. “A little sooner than you thought, right mother?” I say and chuckle, looking over at my father as he closed the door.

“You still have a key? I expected you to ring the doorbell.” I say to him and he looks over at me sitting on the couch as if he was surprised to see me there.

“Are you joining us for dinner?” My father asks me, placing his coat in the closet like he normally did every time he came home from work.

“Yes, she is.” My mother answers for me.

“I can fucking speak for myself, thank you.” I say, making her mouth shut closed.

My father takes a deep breath, putting his hands in his fancy pants pockets. “Well I’m happy to see you, I hope everything’s alright between us.” He says, glancing at my hand wrapped in the bandage.

“Nothing’s changed…” I shrug and hear the doorbell.  “I’ll get it.” I answer, and my father nods, taking a seat at the table and my mother follows. I walk over to the door and open it up, seeing Luke in dark jeans and a white t-shirt, with his hair perfect but I don’t think he even tried.

“Well, are you just going to stand there, or are you going to let me in?” He says and I take a deep breath.

“Don’t act like a dick…” I warn him. The last thing I want is to make matters worse with my parents.

“I can’t promise anything princess.” He smirks and gives me a stupid wink before walking inside my house. I just want to get this fucking dinner over with.