Chapter 27

Luke's POV

The second after closing the door in Riley's face, I felt immediate guilt. I know I shouldn't have done or said what I did... but I mean, come on? She made out with Nash; while we're together I may add. And on top of that, I just told her that I loved her, and she goes and does that? I just don't understand, and it just frustrates me that she would do something like that. I didn't expect it, coming from her. I thought I would be the first one to do something fucked up like that... not her; considering Dylan had cheated on her.

"Honey, are you alright? Was that Riley out there?" My mother asks with a concerned look on her face.

"Yeah, it was her..." I say with a sigh, running my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"What happened? I heard some yelling out there..." She adds, trying to intrude on my love life, as usual.

"She cheated on me..." I mumble and take a long, deep breath.

"Oh, well... I'm sure she didn't mean too... maybe it was a mistake?" She tries as I plop down on the couch to rest for a few minutes.

"You can't do something without some intention of doing it." I mumble. There's a reason behind absolutely everything.

"It seemed like she really liked you, hun..." She says as she continues to prepare dinner in the kitchen.

"Yeah, I thought so too." I mumble more to myself than for her to hear as I still tried to make sense of all of this.

"She left?" My mother then asks.

I nod as she drains the water from the pasta and setting out two plates for us. "Yeah... I wanted her to go." I say

"You should talk to her Luke... I heard her say that she loves you. I think you should hear her out; listen to what she has to say and then think everything through." She says and brings the plates over to the table, taking a seat in one of the chairs.

"I guess, but I really don't want too." I admit.

"Why not?" She asks.

"Because..." I sigh. "She's never going to believe that I actually love her. No matter what; Riley's always going to feel like she is incapable of being truly loved by someone." I say and get up, taking a seat in front of my mom on the table. I pick up my fork, playing with my food rather than eating it. I'm pretty sure picturing my girlfriend's tongue down another dudes throat was the reason for my loss of appetite.

"I'm sure you could change that, Luke." She responds, taking a sip of water from her glass.

"Why do you want me to be with her so bad?" I ask, furrowing my brows in confusion a bit.

"Because I think you two are good for each other." She says. "I mean, you've missed a few days of school because of her, but you sacrifice for the one you love." She adds. "Riley is the only girl who's been with you, that I can tolerate. You went after her; she didn't throw herself at you. Sure there's some things going on in her life, and she may not be the happiest girl in the world, but I feel like you can change that, Luke..." She finishes.

I take a minute to think about it. "Fine..." I say and let out a deep sigh. "I'll go talk to her later on."

Riley's POV

As soon as the big white door shuts in my face, I knew it was over. A part of me was surprised it even lasted this long; and the other part... the other part wanted to shrivel into a ball and cry until no more tears come out.

Did he not love me anymore? I mean, he basically said it without having to speak a word from his beautiful lips. I just can't believe he didn't even acknowledge the fact that I told him I loved him too. That means a lot coming from me... and he didn't even care. I know what I did was fucked up, but c'mon, I'm fucked up. I actually thought kissing Nash was going to make things better somehow... make me think clearing about what I really want; what my feelings really are.

I feel tears spring to my eyes. I must have stood a minute or two outside his door, hoping he would open it back up. But, just as I suspected; he didn't . I eventually step away and run home, tears staining my cheeks. I burst through my house doors, "Mom!" I call out through my cries, hoping that for once, she'd actually be here when I needed her... when I wanted her to be here.

"Mom!" I try again, feeling a familiar ache in my heart that I was hoping I would never feel again. The extra crack in my already broken heart that Dylan had made, and Luke had re-attached, was broken again, and it hurt like hell.

Of course she wasn't here, yet another thing that I should have expected. The house was cold and empty, a metaphor of my heart. I make my way to the kitchen, searching my way through the cabinets, looking for a bottle of something to fill the emptiness and numb the pain in my chest. I thought I had changed... even a little bit, because of him... but I guess not.

I started to get frustrated; irritated, at one empty shelf after another. Where the fuck was the alcohol? I slam the cabinets shut and run upstairs and into my mothers bedroom. She has to have something in here somewhere.

I walk over to her bedside table, expecting a flask with something strong to be inside the little drawer, but boy was I wrong. I open it up, nothing fills it other than a box of tissues, eye cream 50 Shades of Grey, some small pieces of paper, and a little coin. I pause for a moment and reach for the coin, looking at it closely. It read, "AA, 2 Weeks Sober." I furrow my brows, she's sober? I mean... I have been noticing a change in her attitude, but I wouldn't expect her to be going to AA meetings. I sigh and toss the coin back into the drawer, sifting through it a bit more and to my dismay, there was no trace of alcohol anywhere... the coin explaining it much more.

I get down on my knees and look under the bed, finding the shoe box my mother kept under there. I slide it out from underneath the bed and brush off some of the dust before opening it. In it, lied about 5 grand worth of emergency money, which honestly, I think was forgotten about by everyone else but me. Ever since the 5th grade, if I needed money, I would take little bits from the shoe box, enough to go unnoticed by my parents who would add to it every once in a while until they forgot about it. I take the wad of hundreds, fifties, and twenties and kick the box back under the bed.

I make my way back downstairs, the void in my chest only deepening as I replayed the last hour in my mind, over and over. I grab my car keys from the counter where they always were, and leave my house, grabbing my jacket on the way out. I get inside the car; turning the key in the ignition at least 8 times before it finally decided to start up. I hated this piece of shit car. I never use it because it feels and looks as if it'll break down any minute, but it'll have to do for now. I reach over and open up the glove compartment, grabbing my pack of cigarettes and lighter. I put a smoke between my lips and light it, inhaling deeply. I blow the smoke out and grab the cigarette from my lips, holding it in between my fingers as I draped my arms over the wheel. I push my combat boots on the gas petal, shooting the car forward and onto the empty street.

(3 chapters left... Hope you all enjoy, thank you for your contious support. I love you all xx)