23|Even Hope Fractures

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"A wise man once said thatyou should never believe a thingsimply because you want to believe it

you should never believe a thing
simply because you want to believe it."
~Tyrion Lannister
⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Freya wrapped her arms around herself, she had no idea where was in the large Avengers compound. She didn't care.

The room was dark and isolated, probably a supply closet. She raised a trembling hand and brushed her unbraided tangled hair from her face. She desperately tried to control her breathing, but it didn't work. The closet was too cramped, the air too heavy. Laboured and pained breaths left her trembling body.

The woman made her way onto the roof. No one would be up there. Perfect. Clear and fresh air.

Freya had just met Carol, who Fury had been calling on his pager. The blonde had gone to space to find any survivors. Freya couldn't help locate them, her head was constantly filled with the last screams of the dusted. While some where of love, others were curses or normal daily things. It rendered Freya's telepathy useless, it rendered her useless, she couldn't help the Avengers whatsoever.

Her hand gently took ahold of one of the pebbles that was on the roof. She held on to it tightly, memorising the surface as if reminding herself she was alive. Thumb softly traced runes on the porous surface.

"I have come here to say goodbye to you my brother. I have been thinking about you again, when you were younger. I could always find you in the library or in your special spot in the garden, always with a book or a quill in your hands. Or you would be running around the castle, even after Thor and I grew up, and before I knew it you had grown up as well. No longer were you the boy with the book in the garden or who would run around the castle, you were a man, you had grown taller than me," Freya looked out over the night sky, the wind blowing her hair gently around her face. A soft laugh left her lips but turned into a choked sob. "I miss you, so much. I-I....I cannot...I..." Freya bit her lip harshly and took a deep breath.

"I know you rest in the halls of Valhalla, tell me how is it there? With Mother, Father? Our friends? Are the halls as marvellous as we made them out to be? I hope so, that would be a comforting thought....." She picked at her left hand, eyes watching the small ring she wore. "One day we will reunite. I have some duties here, so it might take a little while before I join you up there. Me and Thor were always late I suppose..." Freya smiled to herself. "You will always be my little brother, until the end of times."

Freya couldn't bear to say goodbye to the dusted, to Bucky. She needed that last spark of hope that they could bring them back. It was her lifeline.

"Mother?"

Freya shakily wiped her tears and turned to look at her daughter. "Yes, darling?" Idun shuffled closer to Freya and buried herself in her mother's arms. "Is Dad coming back? And Shuri, and T'Challa?" She whispered against Freya's neck. The woman hesitated before pressing a tender kiss to the brunette's forehead. "I hope so."