PART 1

DATE: 15TH VERI 1490

The light from their lamps fell upon the dirt road and the occasional rock that had stumbled all the way from the mountain top.

Kasarus looked to his right and saw Boran stooped on his steed. "I apologize again, but you must understand that our situation is dire."

"I... " his voice had changed. It was more raspy now. "...could not even attend his burial."

"Most regretabbly." Kasarus pulled the reins and immediatedly his horse stopped. "Who goes there?"

Boran lifted his head. He confusingly looked at Kasarus and wondered who he had just called to. For him, it was complete darkness.

During the war, Kasarus had been ambushed way too many times to fall for the same trick again.

"I will give you three seconds to show yourself. Otherwise, I will burn you to death."

"What a threath! I almost fainted" A voice called back from the darkness. Male and middle-aged, Kasarus deduced.

"It seems that you do not know who I am."

"Oh, I know. Second in command of the Spirit Mage order. Now first in command I suppose."

Kasarus's eyes widened. He immediatedly threw the lamp where he thought the stranger to be. And the flora caught fire. But it seemed that he had miscalculated.

The voice came back, "So eager to finish me, are you? Didn't even wait for a second."

Kasarus got down from his horse. Boran said from behind him holding a lamp, "He might be dangerous."

"He knows too much." Kasarus went to his left and looked down. There was a forest beneath him. He could not see anything. And going towards the fire that was raging to his right would expose him. So Kasarus thought he would use his hearing to locate the stranger.

Kasarus pulled out his bow and arrow, "Who are you?"
"Why do you care?" The voice came from his left.

He shot an arrow in the dark. He heard a russle of the leaves. "I thought Spirit Mages were not supposed to wield weapons?"

"And how do you think we survived the last few wars?" He pulled out another arrow. "What is your purpose?"

"Oh, its my time to leave. I'll answer your question another time then."

Kasarus shot another arrow. But then after that, he heard nothing. It seemed that the stranger had actually left. If it was some other time, Kasarus would have definitely followed the stranger. But he was in a hurry.

So without waisting another moment, Kasarus sat back on his horse and rushed towards the castle.