PART 7

Date: 2nd Veri 1490

Claessen was at the Mage Center reading some book. He was always reading. It seemed to everyone that no matter how much knowledge Claessen gained, he would still remain unsatisfied. But it had to suffice. After all, he did not have much time left. His age had finally caught up to him.

The door to the main hall creaked open and Kasarus emerged. In his late twenties, Kasarus had more scars than Claessen could count. One of his eyes was also permanently damaged.

But apart from this, Claessen knew very few men who were as talented at Magic arts as him.

"Come, sit." The master said to the apprentice, pointing at a chair near him.

But instead, Kasarus chose to sit on the ground. Claessen did not prod further because he knew that Kasarus would not listen to him.

They remained quiet for a while. Kasarus looked at the ground while Claessen kept reading. When at last he said, "What is it that is troubling you?"

"...I cannot say. Its just...this responsibility of a Mage... it is a great burden on whoever holds it."

"Find me that boring, dont you?" Claessen said jokingly, "Remember Kasarus, our lives all led to this single destination. Now, do not let this oppurtunity get out of your hands. Its all that gives us purpose."

Kasarus seemed pleased with the reply. If he was ever pleased with anything, that is.

"Do you really wish to destroy Ulnoria?"

"If we dont fight back. The same thing will happen to us again. The Ulnorian king will try to destroy us the same way as his father before him tried to do. But I dont expect you to feel the same way as the rest of us do. You werent there to see it after all."

"I apologize..."

"No need."

"....the attack on Ulnoria, how many of our Mages do you think will perish?"

"I plan that we lose none of our men. But taking in account the extremely dangerous variable that is Eker, I suppose half."

"Will you kill him?"

"Thats up to you. I wont be there when you attack."

"Why?"

"Wait for a few days. You'll know then."