PART 10

1476

Kasarus had his rifle in his hand. His uniform was blood stained and the smell in the air choked him. He noticed an enemy soldier laying at his feet who was holding up a hand. "Please... " he said.

Kasarus rammed the blade attached to the front of his rifle into the enemy's head. Afterwards, he searched the body, and found a book.

It was in a language Kasarus did not understand. He pocketed it. At least it would fetch him a morning's meal.

He looked around and it seemed that the battle was finished. They had won. He felt empty. What kind of a misrable person would be who could not even shed a single tear at seeing such destruction? His type, Kasarus imagined.

Spooky noticed Kasarus from a distance and ran towards him. He said in a cheerful voice, "We won!"

Kasarus diverted his eyes and squatted to search another corpse. He replied, "Yeah..."

He imagined Spooky would be disappointed after hearing his reply, but he heard nothing. Except a loud thump. He looked to his left and saw Spooky laying on the ground. Dead.

He immediatedly searched for the shooter. He was hiding underneath a corpse. Only one shot, Kasarus thought. Their rifles could only shoot once.

He jumped on top of the man and both of them started to wrestle in the dirt. Kasarus was able to break both of his arms. After that, it was only a matter of stabbing him in the throat with the rifle blade as he had done to all the other survivors.

He layed on the ground, breathing heavily. When finally, he cried. Those tears carried all the grief in the world and some pleasure for Kasarus. Because he was relieved to know that he still had a heart left.