PART 11

23rd Veri 1490

You could've only heard crickets and the footsteps of two men that night.

Eker held up a lamp and moved in front of the king to illuminate the pathway for him. There was an occasional rock or uneven part of the road that would show up. Eker would repeatedly warn the king of it.

But apart from those few words scattered here and there, they remained completely silent.

A collective drege rose up in their hearts. Deep down both of them wanted to turn back and stop what they were going to do. But something external pushed them forward.

"How long until your men reach the Center?"

"Two hours. Well be waiting for them. But king,... "

"Dont repeat yourself Eker. I accompanied you by my chioce...Who is that?"

Eker was too deep in his thoughts to notice that someone from afar was waving at them. Maybe it was his age, maybe he was slowly getting to the point where he would be completely useless.

"Come closer," Eker said while moving his left hand towards his dagger. But as soon as he saw the stranger's face, he let his hand fall.

"Your highness," The stranger bowed to the king. The king looked at Eker in confusion.

"What is your purpose here?"

"How did you come into possession of that magnificent moustache? I dont think any amount of Magic will produce something of that high quality."

Eker wanted to bash his head against the wall for thinking that he would get a straight answer. "I have been thinking who you might be. And Ive reached a single conclusion as to why you have Ember as well as Spirit Mage powers at the same time."

The stranger grinned, "...What? Go on. I want to hear what else comes out of that chicken pot you call a head. It really looks like a place where some chicken would be inclined to lay her eggs. I mean the shape of it... "

"Marlow."

Marlow started to laugh furiously. Eker could tell that the king was becoming impatient. They had put in an effort to remain as quiet as possible. And now here was this man whoose laugh could reach to the other side of the continent.

"Is he a threat for us, Eker?"

"I cannot say."

Marlow stopped laughing after a while and then said, "You know what? As a gift I would like to help you."

The king replied, "We dont nee-"

"Kasarus will not be defeated so easily. By himself, he could kill a thousand of your men. I know that you want to rely on the surprise factor, Eker. But trust me, it wont work. And you'll also make more problems for yourself."

"I cannot let Kasarus live."

"Let me deal with this your Highness..." Eker said to the king then turned towards Marlow. "What do you propose then?"

"Instead of initiating an all out attack. Let me do it."

"You cannot kill all of them."

"I never said that. I just want to kill one. The numbers of the Spirit Mage order are small. So one of their men dying would be a huge loss for them."

"And who will tell my men to stop with the mission? I could reach them but I cannot leave the king here alone, all by himself and unguarded."

"Your highness, do you have your seal?"

"I do." The king replied.

"Then please entrust it to me. I will show it to Eker's men. I promise to return it."

The king looked towards his chief general. Eker thought about it for a while. Marlow was a dangerous variable. From what Eker had heard from the old legends, Marlow did not meddle in men's affairs. So why now, did he change?

But Eker thought he might as well let him. Marlow was still going to do what he wanted to and Eker couldnt stop him. He nodded towards the King.

"Then, it is settled." Marlow said, "You will return to your palace and I will move forward with my mission. And Kasarus will pay as you wanted, your Highness."