Chapter X: I Save, I Save Not

Lady Therese De Beauharnais of Roche

10 October, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

Sunlight streamed through the window. Sensing the bright light, I squinted open my eyes.

Was it dawn already?

After I had placed a sleeping Tommy in his chambers last night, I had finished writing out the forty sets of letters to be sent out to the women on our list. I had been careful not to reveal too much in writing, all the while emphasising that the matter at hand was serious.

Mayhap I had become so exhausted that I forgot to close the curtains last night.

Mayhap I had become so exhausted that I had fallen asleep on my writing table.

Mayhap I had become so exhausted that I had not noticed Liv and Lisa enter my chambers.

What? I forced myself upright, rubbing my eyes.

Two familiar young women were resting comfortably on my armchairs by the fireplace, enjoying a cup of hot beverage, indulging in a companionable silence like old friends.

I could understand why Liv was here. She had another key to my chambers, so that she could visit me whenever she wishes to, and - on the days that my mother was in my vicinity – check up on me from time to time.

However, that did not mean she could meet me so, absurdly early in the morning, or bring my cousin's best friend with her.

A huge yawn came over me. "Liv, Lisa," I enunciated each word slowly, "to what do I owe the displeasure of your company?"

Both Lisa and Liv stared at me for a long while, startled, before the latter broke into an amused smile.

"I had forgotten how sweet you can be in the morning," she remarked impishly.

"You are no different from me, you hypocrite," I muttered, "if you wish to do something useful, please close the curtains and leave me alone." With that, I buried my face in my arms on the table.

"Oh, nay. You will not return to your slumber," I heard Liv stand up, "for one, it is already ten in the morning. Secondly, you have some explaining to do."

She wrapped an arm around my shoulders and raised me upright against my will. Before I could slump on the table again, she forced the mug she was holding into my hands.

"Drink some coffee," she insisted, "you will feel more awake."

I simply scowled at her, before I sipped on the warm coffee. "What do you want me to explain?"

"You tell me. Lisa said you needed to discuss something important with me."

I glanced at Lisa, confused for a moment, before it hit me. "Lisa," my voice was dangerously quiet, "did I not assure you that I will tell Liv about the petition myself before I send out the letters? What was the need to bring her here like this without asking me?"

She shrugged. "I assume those are the letters you intend to send out today," she pointed to the stack of parchment on my table, "the earlier you tell her, the better."

"Tell me what?" Liv was growing apprehensive.

I released a huff, running a hand through my hair, as I took a long gulp of my coffee. "Wait for a few minutes," I instructed tiredly, "allow me to take a bath and break my fast first. It is a long story."