Chapter III: To Welcome, And Be Welcomed

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

30 September, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Harbour, Bordeux

Monrique

Today was a day I would remember for as long as I would live. I would tuck it in an imaginary pouch of gold, and store in the forefront of my mind, to relive it on the days that I needed the comfort of home.

As I stood here, between land and water, between the skies and the earth, I prepared myself to leave everything I had ever known in this lifetime for the uncertain, for the unknown.

"You must write to me at least once a week, all right?"

Shaking myself out of my reverie, I focused on Lisa, who was gripping my hands tightly as she strived to keep her tears in check.

She was not the only one. A significant number of people around us this very moment were sniffling loudly, and holding their hankies to their eyes as they bid their loved ones farewell at Bordeux harbour.

I smiled faintly, squeezing her hands. "I will try."

Her husband, Lord Evoric, Earl of Warwick, placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Lisa, I hardly think she would have the time to write," he pointed out, "she would have her hands full adapting to the new environment there, and teaching the girls."

Lisa waved it away dismissively. "She will write to us regardless of the workload if she values her life," she pinned me with a glare, "but Kat, if anyone – anyone at all - gives you any trouble about training women in warfare, then you must inform us. All of us will sail to Amöneburg with all speed - "

Evoric continued from there. " - and castrate the wretch such that he will never be able to sire any children - "

" – or if it is a woman, I would happily gouge out her eyeballs – "

" – and then disembowel him or her - "

I burst out laughing, imagining the highly unlikely event that that peace-loving Lisa and her equally mild husband would engage in such gory violence against anyone, even the most heinous of criminals.

However, I knew that they would not hesitate to do so for my sake, if the need ever arose.

"I can clearly see the portrait you are attempting to paint," I grinned, pulling them both into a tight hug, "and I am so fortunate to have friends like you."

Lisa, especially, held me in a vice-like grip. "Anything for you, Kat," her voice was choked, "I will miss you very much. Do take care of yourself."

"I will."

I could not believe that I was truly leaving. Indeed, I had changed my mind about my departure a hundred times in the mere three days I took to pack my trunks, and tie up all loose ends here.

In these few days, I also waited, holding onto my last shred of hope, for Richard to suddenly pop out of the shadows in the Castle, and assure me that he was merely making a good fool out of me when he ran away from home. That our engagement and wedding would go forward as planned.

But nay.

Hope was of such a nature. It was like an intricate snowflake you caught in the air that always melted into water, no matter how hard you gripped it and wished that it stayed the way it was.

It was impermanent. Fickle. Unreliable.

"Kat?"

I blinked again, returning to the present world. Evoric was peering at me oddly, while Lisa offered with a sad, weak smile.