Chapter V: To Meet, And Be Met

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

9 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

In between the Longbourne Military Academy for Women and Amöneburg Palace, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

Good Lord, I was sitting in front of the Emperor of the Longbournian Nations himself.

To be very honest, however, he did not look like an Emperor at all. He was dressed as any common man would be, and his countenance lacked the worry lines I had grown up seeing in King Frederick's. Indeed, his round, sea-green eyes still shone bright with hope and promise, and his strong, tapered jaws were still set firmly in determination. This was a man who was in the peak of his health, hale and strong, and ready to face all the challenges ahead of him.

Which was a sharp contrast from the tired sight of my own sovereigns back home.

Surely I could not be faulted for not recognising him sooner?

The Emperor began to chuckle now. "I am aware that my countenance is stunning," his deep voice was impish, "but it has never warranted such scrutiny before. You may do and keep a brief sketch of it if you like it so much. It lasts longer."

I was startled out of my reverie. "I beg your pardon?"

His sea-green eyes were twinkling. "Nothing," he laughed, "I generally have such an effect on women, but none of them have ever dared to stare at me as long as you have."

My cheeks heated up. "I was not staring, Sire!"

"Admiring, ogling, staring," he shrugged, "pick what you will."

"I was surprised for a moment, that is all," I answered defensively, as I bowed the best I could seated, "it is a pleasure to meet you, Your Imperial Majesty. I am Mistress Katherine Harrington, from Monrique."

At once, I braced myself for his enquiry about my engagement. Every time I introduced myself to someone these days, the question that always, always followed was about my engagement.

Before Richard ran away, I was happy to speak of it. Now, all I wished was for people to forget he ever proposed to me.

However, the Emperor surprised me yet again. "I know. I was simply teasing you," he grinned, "I am truly honoured to make your acquaintance, Mistress Harrington. I saw you shoot when I recently visited Bordeux, and I must say, your command over archery is impressive."

I offered him a small smile. "Thank you, Sire."

"Your students have much to learn from you," he mused to himself, "in any case, were the three of you on your way to the Palace to meet me?" He glanced at my colleagues as well.

Corporal Baudelaire, who had been watching us thus far, nodded. "Aye, Sire," she confirmed, "and if you permit, we can all travel there together. Everyone must have noticed your absence by now, and must be beside themselves with worry."

"I was on a walk by myself outside when I was attacked," he admitted sheepishly, glancing at his timepiece, "and it has not been too long since then. I doubt anyone is aware that I am missing."

"Nevertheless, we need to leave before any more of your kidnappers arrive, Sire," Corporal Montgomery's countenance turned dark, "we are certain to be outnumbered."

"Oh, yes," his forehead creased, "all right, let us return to the Palace. What are we to do with him, though?" He pointed to the corpse of his kidnapper.

Corporal Baudelaire hardly spared it a glance. "He can rot there where he deserves," she shrugged, "shall we leave, Sire?"

He nodded in agreement. My colleagues gestured at me to ride ahead with the Emperor, while they rode behind us on either side for protection, in a triangle formation.