Chapter VII: To Introduce, And Be Introduced

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

10 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Longbourne Military Academy for Women, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

"Mistress Harrington. Mistress Harrington."

Groaning, I shook off the hands that were prodding me awake, and buried my face within the soft depths of my blanket.

"Corporal Baudelaire, five more minutes, please..."

"Mistress Harrington, dawn training starts in an hour," she sighed in amusement, "and you had best finish bathing before Michelle returns from guard duty, because she will take simply forever in the bathing chamber – "

The room door slammed open at that moment, cutting her off.

"Morning, Michelle."

"Good morning, Arielle," I heard Corporal Montgomery stride into the room, closing the door behind her, "you too, Mistress Harrington. Rise and shine." She reached out to poke my waist none too gently.

I swatted her hand away, scowling, as I firmly shut my eyes.

"You do not need to attend training this morning, you know," Corporal Baudelaire remarked, "you must be exhausted as it is, and you would do well to rest."

Her eyes followed Corporal Montgomery as the latter tossed her sack onto her bed, and proceeded to unlace her boots.

"Worry not, I am wide awake. Guard duty at the Palace was rather exciting today, for a change," she answered wryly, "the army apprehended the men responsible for His Imperial Majesty's recent kidnapping attempt, and brought them in a few hours ago."

That made me sit upright. "So soon?"

She paused to look at me, faintly amused. "From what I heard, it was not too difficult," she chuckled, "the kidnappers were nothing but untrained commoners, and they had left a trail of clues that led the army straight to them."

"Why did they attempt to kidnap him in the first place?" Corporal Baudelaire frowned, "what did they want?"

"No idea," Corporal Montgomery shrugged, "the army is still investigating."

"Nevertheless, I simply cannot imagine why would anyone have anything against the Emperor," Corporal Baudelaire continued, "he is so nice." She sounded genuinely puzzled.

I smiled sadly. "Every ruler always has enemies, regardless of how nice they are," I remarked, yawning, "and especially so if he or she is new to the throne, and it is easy to take advantage of their inexperience."

"Right you are, Mistress Harrington. Concisely and precisely put," Corporal Baudelaire agreed, "which indicates that you are wide awake at long last. We did a good job, Michelle." She shook hands with her friend, smirking.

I scowled.

"Now, now, there is no need to be grouchy so early in the morning. You have the rest of the day to be miserable," Corporal Montgomery rolled her eyes at me, "in any case, a letter just arrived for you from home." She held out a folded piece of parchment towards me.

I took it, surprised to have received a letter so soon. I only arrived here yesterday -

2 October, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

Dearest Harrington,