Chapter LIII: To Know, And Be Known

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

25 December, Year 1 of King Nicholas IV of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

I fell in love with an Emperor, and I almost murdered a Prince. A former Queen dragged me to the dungeons, and a newly anointed King pardoned me earlier today.

It has been an exciting few months.

The Emperor and the Princess both testified at my trial. The Princess, especially, gave a fierce and well-prepared argument in my defence, leaving most of the jury stunned, Tess amused and Queen Eleanor very much incensed.

Although I know Nick and Tess would have ensured my release either way – I hear Richard has been yelling at everyone since the moment he regained consciousness, that his injuries are no fault of mine – I am still touched that the Emperor and his sister came so far to stand up for me.

I am currently waiting by the corridor for them, while they are meeting Nick, Jules, and their newborn daughter.

"What are you thinking about?"

I look up from my hands, to find the Princess striding towards me. Her cheekbones are still slightly yellow, due to her healing bruises, and her right arm is still in a sling. Nevertheless, she climbs swiftly onto the window ledge, and sits next to me, dangling her legs over the edge as I am. It is only a first-floor window, and her feet are almost touching the ground.

"You, actually, Mistress Hohenstaufen," I smile faintly, "thank you for coming when you did. I am not entirely certain I would have been released without yours and Sebastian's testimony, and I am most grateful."

"You had better be," she grumbles, "I have dreamed for the longest time about visiting your beautiful country, and now that I am here, I have to hide like a fugitive from former Queen Eleanor."

The twinkle in her eyes tells me she is merely jesting, and I chuckle.

"She cannot do anything to you now. She is no longer Queen," I shrug, "you can roam around Monrique as much as you like."

I break into a grin, as an idea occurs to me. "If you wish, you can come home with me to Johanne this week," I offer, "you can even visit the infamous Guillame Port, which everyone seems to covet." I add wryly.

She grabs my hand. "Do you mean it? I can explore Roche?" she demands, holding her breath, "I can come with you to your home and meet your family? And your little brother who comes up with those wonderful knock-knock jests?"

"Of course," I laugh, "I would love to show you around, and my family will be more than happy to meet you."

"Thank you," her sea-green eyes are alight, "Brother-mine can come with us too, once King Nicholas deems it polite leave Bordeux."

"Nick will not mind," I assure her, chuckling, "if I know him and Jules as well as I think I do, they will be waiting for the guests to leave so that they can spend time with Yara in peace."

"Indeed?" she is surprised, "I did not expect that. I find your new King very personable, truth be told. And he is much easier to get along with than his twin."

She scowls, and that dampens my mood at once.

"I would rather not talk about Richard, please," I sigh, "the very thought of his name brings me back to those horrid dungeons."

I shudder, recalling my two-week imprisonment. I do not wish to live through that again, even in my memories.

"Too late, because here he comes," the Princess mutters darkly just then.