Chapter 2 - New School

I set my alarm at 7am, school starts at 8am. That's enough time for me, it will take 10mins to get to school so yes that's just perfect. But what I didn't expect is for my grandma to wake me up way earlier.

I woke up to the banging on my door, I looked at the clock immediately and saw that it's only like 6:30. Oh hell no!

"Mavis hija, time to wake up", I heard my grandma from outside. Ugh, I wanted to ignore her but knowing her she won't stop until I get up.

Grumpily I opened the door. "It's too early", I whined at her.

"No it's not, go take a shower. You cannot be late on your first day of school. Breakfast will be ready in thirty", and she left.

I groaned, my grandma's an early bird. Then I chuckled to myself she said in thirty so I decided to take a nap for 15 mins. Morning's a bitch.

........

It's just 7:30am and my grandma's been urging me to go to school. I wanted to say No but before I can say anything she glares at me. I can't believe this, back home no one bothers me on my school schedule because before my school starts everyone's gone to their own businesses. But here my grandma's watching my every move. I sighed to myself, anyway it's better this way at least I don't feel like I live alone.

It was only me and my grandma here, along with 3 helpers all of them are Filipinos and 2 more male, one is the driver who also maintains all cars, the other one maintains the garden and do all around chores as well. Grandma's house is a mansion and she's very particular about her garden especially after grandpa dies. It helped her coped and so is my presence I guess.

"Fine I'm going", I told her. I got up and check my things and took my car keys.

"You have no problem on your way there yeah?", she asks. She wants to send her driver but I want to drive on my own. We went there a few times for me to memorize the way so I'm pretty confident I won't be lost plus there's a Google map just in case.

"I got it grandma", I went to her and kiss her cheek. I'm supposed to take the back of her hand and put it on my forehead as a sign of respect but come on we're not that traditional. Besides grandma feels older than she is whenever someone did that to her. She prefers kiss on the cheeks and hugs from families and friends only of course. She's very vain.

"Drive safe sweetie and enjoy your first day", she said. I just smiled and went out.

.......

Finally, I found a perfect spot to park my car, I stayed inside for a bit and looked at the surroundings. I see stares from some students passing by, can't blame them. I'm driving a black and white audi r8, a welcome gift from my ever loving grandma. I still have 15 mins and I have no plan on spending it wondering around.

Redwood high is a big school, I can see a lot of students already. I can see a lot of mixed race as well which is good I think. I'm Asian, although I don't really look like one. My Dad's a descendant of Spanish and English, in fact one of our language back home is Spanish, it was our second language, Tagalog and English is considered both our first. My mom's fil-american. I have dark brown hair, milky white skin and am blessed with amazing features thanks to my mother. Funny, I actually looked a lot like her. Our resemblance is uncanny when she was my age. My eye colour is dark brown almost black when I'm angry.

5 mins left when I decided to get out and head to the entrance. More students keep coming some are rushing already that I almost got bumped by a very tall guy, oops good thing I have fast reflex and was able to avoid it. I already have a map of the school and the room number I'm just a bit confused which is which so my walking slowed until I decided to stop causing someone to bump at me from behind.

"Ouch", I almost fell on the floor. I felt a slight pain on my back just below my left shoulder.

"Hey watch it",  I heard an angelic but angry voice. Immediately I turn around and saw a blonde girl, I can't see her face because her hand is on her forehead. It probably hurt. She's the one who bumped into me but maybe it's my fault.

"Oh gosh I'm so sorry Miss, are you okay?" I want to take her hand and examine her forehead but decided against it. She might slap me in the face if I did.

"Do I look like I'm okay?", she said furiously and glares at me that's when I saw her face and my oh my She has a beautiful flawless face even when angry. I can't help but gawked at her unable to say anything. She definitely has the most beautiful face I have ever seen. I noticed a subtle change in her expression and somehow it's like she's examining my face as well. Then I notice a red on her forehead, she must have hit my backpack. Now I feel guilty.

"I'm really sorry Miss, didn't mean to stop I was just--".

"Whatever", she cut me off and walk past me. There are two girls who followed her but first gave me a glare. They must be her friends. Oh boy the last thing I want is to make an enemy especially on my first day.

Finally, when students are lessened in the hallway I was able to locate the room. It was locked already so I had to knock. I'm a bit embarrassed and pissed at myself for wasting time. I don't really want to get attention from anyone other than my family, although that was in the past.

I was allowed in by our homeroom teacher Mrs. Lambert, she's a middle age blonde woman. She gives me a nod, she's not smiling but she seems approachable. But I don't plan on getting on her nerves by being late. I can feel eyes on me, I can also hear murmuring. I took a seat at the far corner of the room minding my own business.

After getting my schedule and dropping some things in my locker I quickly went to my first period. I have four subjects to take, I expected less because I believe I was advance but I'm a transferee so no choice.

Students are scattered and chairs are unorganized when I enter the room. Most of the students stop talking and stares at me. Rude, I roam my eyes around finding an empty chair again at the far corner of the room.

I feel someone tap my shoulder. It was a brunette girl with green eyes who gives me a friendly smile. "Hi I'm April, are you new here? I don't think I've seen you before?", she asked animatedly but before I can answer she continues "Don't get me wrong though I know most of our batch or at least know their faces so I know that it's the first time I saw you", she chuckled. Hmm, she talks a lot. But I appreciate it.

"Yeah you're right I'm new here, My name's Mavis by the way", I smiled at her and shake her hand. But before we continue talking the teacher enters the room.

Suddenly my classmates re-arrange the chairs and sat properly. April occupies the seat next to me before giving me a smile. The teacher doesn't seem strict but who knows. He wrote his name on the board, He is Mr Gilbert. He faces us but before He could say anything the door opened and came another student. All head turn at whoever that is including me and I was surprised to see it was her.

The girl who bumped into me. I swallowed a lump in my throat. Damn she's so perfect, she walked confidently, and my classmates are in awed of her. They must have known her by the looks on their faces. Mr Gilbert gave her a welcome nod. Some student offered their seat to her, she gave them a smile but preferred to seat at the back corner in front of me. She didn't notice me yet. I was watching her like a hawk. I can feel a pounding in my chest. I don't think I've ever felt like this before, it's like I can't breathe and it seems everybody fades and I only see her.

Then she noticed me and her smile fades.