Chapter 3 - New friends

We didn't start our lesson today, maybe because it's just the first day. Plus it's almost 10am so class will soon be over. She never looks at me again and I can't help but feel sad, I wanted to approach her but by the looks she gave me I hesitate.

April is eyeing me, I know she wants to ask something by how she look at me and the girl in front of me. I heard someone called her Alicia. What a beautiful name fits a beautiful girl like her. Damn I got it bad. The bell then rang but I waited for Alicia to leave first before I stand.

"What's with you and Alicia?", finally April was able to ask me.

"Uh, she kinda bumped into me earlier and possibly hurt herself. It was my fault because I stopped suddenly in the hallway", I said. I feel regret after remembering it.

"Oh, is that so. Well be careful with her. She can be a bitch, she's the head of the cheerleading team and she has a lot of bitchy friends who can make your life a living hell", she says with a bit of concern.

Hell? I've been there. I snort to myself. I don't really feel threatened by that but I gave April a small smile. She seems genuinely concern and I like her. I think we can be friends.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind", I said.

"I think that we can be really good friends", she said smiling as we head out to our 2nd period and I couldn't agree more. Too bad we don't have the same subject anyway we decided to meet after for lunch. She offered to give me a tour.

"I really hope so", I replied. She asked for my cell number and I took hers. "See you later".

.....

I met April at the locker, she's not alone another girl is with her.

"Hey Mavis, this is Nicole by the way. She's my friend we have 2nd period together. Nicole this is Mavis, she's new here so I decided that we will give her a tour", she smiled widely motioning her hand while talking. She really talks too much.

Nicole gave me a friendly smile which I returned. "Just call me Nikki, nice to meet you Mavis, hope our school is to your liking".

"Thanks, it's nice to meet you too", I said.

"Nikki is a member of the student council so whenever you have concern you can tell her, but tell me first", it was April, she gives me a playful look. Nikki and I both chuckled.

We all head to the school cafeteria. April is between Nikki and me, our arms are all link together. Good thing not many students in the lobby because we are occupying too much space. I'm kinda alert now because I don't want to bump to anyone again.

We found a vacant table for us. We each have a tray carrying our food, I got myself a slice of pizza and an orange juice, and a brownie. I'm a sucker of sweets hopefully it lives up to my tummies' expectation.

"So Mavis, where did you transfer from?", it was Nikki. We finished our food but remain seated.

"I transferred here from the Philippines", I replied and they both gave me a confused look "It was my home country", I said to answer their confusion.

"Wait, are you a Filipino?", April asks exchanging a confused look with Nikki.

"Yep, born and raised", I said proudly and look at the both of them.

"Are Filipinos supposed to look like that?", she pointed her finger at me. Rude.

I chuckled, "well I'm a mix of race, my mom's Filipino American and my Dad's Filipino Spanish also English on my Dad's mother's side", I tried explaining but even I lost in my words. I frown to myself.

They seemed more confused but then shrugged it off. But April then pointed to one student who look exactly what a 'common' Filipina looked like. "Well as I've said my parents are mixed", I say in my defence.

"So, why did you transfer? I mean why now when you already in your senior year?", Nikki seems to be intrigue and I'm not ready to share my reason yet, I mean I just met them. Besides, there are a lot more interesting topic than my life story.

"Some other time, and enough of me", I said letting out a small laugh to release some tensions that I seemed to feel at the moment. I feel like they're grilling me.

"So what do you guys do? Any sports or club?", I ask them.

Nikki answered first, "well aside from being part of student council I'm also a coordinator for school play", she said proudly, like April she can be funny.

Now she got my attention. "Wow that's cool. I love watching plays, I used to play piano as a back-up during a play". So it's almost like my previous school. I'm really kind of active at school back home relieves some stress from my situation also it gives me an excuse to go home late and avoid 'that bitch'.

"Then you should join us, it would be fun", Nikki seems happy. I wanted to but let's see what other options are.

"Maybe, we'll see", I replied not fully committing. "How bout you April?"

"Oh I'm part of the play and I will audition again this year", she said happily and gives me a meaningful look "and now that you mention you play piano, would you mind assisting me when the audition starts?", she smiled cheekily.

I chuckled "of course I will", then I stupidly raise my almost empty bottle of orange juice and say "To my new-found friends" while slightly laughing.

Both of them raise their water bottles and said "To our new friendship", we all laugh stupidly. Some eyes are on us but we don't care. After a few more word exchanged we got up.

Nikki needed to go do something so it's just April and I, we still have time before 3rd period so she decided to give me a tour and she started showing me the indoor gym, it was big, there are students there sitting and talking probably wasting time before next class.

"This is where basketball and volleyball team practised also you can see the cheerleading team here from time to time but mostly they practice outdoors to where the football and soccer plays", April explained. "There are a lot of sports club in this school but I'm mostly interested in the basketball team", she said giggling.

I figured she has a crush on someone in the basketball team. Then I decided to ask her "Do you have a boyfriend?" It was out of the blue I know but I need to know these kinds of info from a friend.

She smiled shyly before answering "No".

"Oh okay, anyone you like in particular?", I ask.

"I do have a crush but I'm not sure if I'm ready to be in a relationship again", she sighed.

I wanted to ask but maybe next time. She doesn't seem to want to talk more about it anyway.

"How bout you?", she asked me.

"Nope", with a pop on the p I answered. Then I realized I haven't told her that I'm gay. I mean I know we only met but we're classmate and we're friends now and probably going to be best friends. I'm comfortable talking to her and I find her funny and natural, no itchy bitchy attitude. Maybe I should tell her before she teases me with boys. Oh well this is America anyway I think they're more accepting.

"Well have you had a boyfriend though?", she interrupts me with another question.

"Uhm, no. Ah April", I'm about to tell her.

"Whaaat??? No way", she shook her head.

"April!", I say a little louder to get her attention and when she looked at me, I said "I'm gay".