Chapter 19 - Sad Truth

April and Nikki are both excitedly talking about the upcoming school play. April got in as expected and as promised I helped her auditioned last week. I was just playing softly in the background to add effect on her piece. It was held in the school auditorium. I wanted to join in their conversation but my mind keep travelling to her. To Alicia.

I texted her twice but she's not returning my text. I can't helped but feel worried, why is it that when I feel so close to her suddenly she's so far away.

"Earth to Mavis", it was April waving her hand in front of my face.

I looked at her apologetically, "Sorry".

"What's up with you?", it was Nikki. "You know the director wants you to join in. She have seen how you play and was very impressed".

I sighed. I should be happy about it, actually I am but thinking about Alicia made my moods swings back and fort.

"Tell her I was honored", I let out a small smile.

"Or you can tell her yourself", she snickered.

I snorted. She's right though, I should be thrilled and considered this a big break. I used to play in church back home, it's the only reason I'm going to church aside from my parents who won't take no for an answer. My family is a big supporter of catholic church, I can't even imagine the fortune that they are donating in church. I wonder what would they think if they found out that their daughter is gay. I asked to myself bitterly.

"Okay I will", I made a mental note to go to the music room later or one of these days.

"How's your weekend?", April asks. She keep asking for me to come over with Nikki but since I have plans with Alicia last saturday I declined much to their disappointment. I only pacify them because I said it was a project which is the truth, although for me it's so much more.

"It was okay", they don't seem satisfied with my answer and keep giving me looks. I sighed, I needed to let it out anyway before I go crazy. "Alicia and I kissed", I started with a low voice while looking at them.

Their eyes widen, I looked around me, we're at the school cafeteria and we chose the far corner table which is a bit isolated from everyone. We have privacy.

"And then what happened ?", April asks, anticipation all over her face. I smiled but not reaching my eyes.

"She kissed me back and I thought we're good but I made her confused and I'm afraid she won't let me near her again", I swallowed as I voice out my fears. "I begged her to take me as a partner to our project only to mess it up", I palmed my face in frustration.

They both looked at each other not knowing what to say. They stopped teasing me with Alicia weeks ago especially since they know how deep my feelings for her becomes. Although it feels good to be able to tell them, even just a little bit, it helped me somehow.

"Give her time", It was Nikki and that made me looked at her. "Being confused is a sign that she might be feeling the same. But also be open to possible outcome". She looked serious. And I appreciate what she said and at the same time I became more anxious. She have a point and as sucks as it is I have no choice but to give Alicia some space.

"I know, thank you both", I said.

"We're your friends, we're always here for you okay?", Nikki said.

"Group hug", April said as she stood, I can't helped but laugh at her and stood as well. We all hugged each other not caring the looks we're getting to some. I feel a bit lightened up.

........

I was held up in music room for more than an hour, I came to meet the music teacher which is also the director of the school play. I told Mrs Anderson that I want to be part of the music production. She made me play and was very glad that I knew some of the famous classical songs. I was happy to be a part of it, at least I have other activities going on.