Valentine || Gretchen Wieners

I KNOW I KNOW valentine's day isn't super super close but I thought it was cute also I wanted to get this request finished before my next semester started soooo

Requested by: Thropp_

Warnings: None.

Summary: Regina and Karen can't help but notice how much their friend Gretchen swoons over the newest edition of their little group. Naturally, they decide to do something about that. Luckily, Valentine's day is right around the corner.

_________________________

I place my tray on the table, sitting down. I greet my friends with a smile.

"Hey, guys," I say upon reaching the table. I rest my head on my hand as I watch Gretchen walk into the cafeteria. "Hey, Gretchen."

"Oh! Hi, y/n!" She says. I pat the spot beside me. She sits, and I immediately notice how far away she is.

"I won't bite." I slide closer, and she looks down, her hands in her lap.

"So, Valentine's day is coming up. Any plans, y/n?" Regina asks, drawing my attention away from the brunette beside me.

"Well, no."

"No?" Gretchen repeats incredulously. I blink, looking at her.

"... No," I confirm. I clear my throat. "Why?" She waves her hands around.

"Nothing! No reason! I just- You're too interesting to not have a date or... Or something..."

"Interesting?" I say. She stammers.

"A good interesting, I promise!" I blink, then chuckle lightly.

"Thanks, Gretchen. But no. I didn't get asked out or anything. I mean... Not yet." I can't help but shoot a hopeful glance at her. She doesn't seem to catch on. I sigh, trying not to let my disappointment shine through.

"Are you looking for a date though?" Karen asks me. I shrug.

"Not actively." I frown. "... Why?"

"Just wondering." I raise an eyebrow.

"Alright." I nudge Gretchen. "Do you?" She blinks.

"No." I smile.

"No?" I ask, imitating her from earlier. She bites her lip.

"No." I'm distracted as my phone buzzes.

"Oh, shit. I forgot I was supposed to meet up with Cady for our Calc homework." I stand up. "See you guys later." Damnit. I could've done it, just now. Asked her out or something. But I took my sweet, sweet time. I sigh as I walk away, silently cursing myself.

°°°

I watch y/n walk away, a little disappointed that nothing happened. I hear something that sounds like snickering and glance back at the other two.

"Oh my God, you are so smitten," Regina says the second I do. I open my mouth.

"No I'm not!" I say quickly. She smiles.

"Please. You've been checking her out since her first day. Don't think I didn't notice." I feel a prickle of heat at my face.

"Y/n's nice," Karen says. "That's why you like her."

"I-I don't..." I sigh, giving in. "Okay, I do."

"I knew it," Regina mutters. "So ask her out. Valentine's day's coming up. And she's single at the moment, so..."