Stupid With Love (and Math) || Cady Heron

Warnings: None.

Summary: Aaron Samuels' ex-girlfriend needs a Calculus tutor. Who else would be better than the first female Northshore Mathlete herself?

_____________________________

I inwardly groan as Ms Norbury places our most recent test in front of me. I flip through it incredulously. But I was so confident in my answers... My shoulders slump as I see the note on the front.

Please see me after class.

My heart drops, and I feel sick to my stomach. I'm failing. I bury my head in my arms, holding back tears. I'm not going to cry in my Calculus class. The rest of the class goes by in a flash. As I wait for the classroom to clear up, I swallow the lump in my throat to stop myself from bursting into tears. I walk up to the desk at the front.

"Hello, y/n." I nod at Ms Norbury. I don't trust myself to say anything without sobbing hysterically. I focus on the wood of the desk. She's one of my favourite teachers. I'd hate to make her disappointed in me.

"I'm sorry, Ms Norbury...," I manage to whisper. I feel the tears coming on. I watch as one drips onto the paper clenched tight in my fist, my vision blurry. I'm suddenly glad that I waited for everyone to leave. "I'm sorry."

"... Y/n. There's no need to be sorry." I glance up at her. She gives me a small smile. "I just know you can do better than this." I wipe at my eyes with my hand. "You're in AP Calculus for a reason, right?"

"I'm trying, I just... It's all so overwhelming, and I feel like I'm falling behind and I just-"

"Shh, I know, y/n. I'm assigning you a tutor, okay? I only want you to succeed here, because I know it's well in your ability. I'm not trying to make you upset. I just want to push you to do better. Don't you want this?" I nod a few times. "I know you're trying. Hard. It's good. I just want to help you reach your full potential."

"I know," I say miserably.

"Your tutor will help you. I promise." She reaches out and rubs my arm. "I have no doubts you can do this."

"Thank you." She smiles.

"Now get to class, y/n. Come back after school ends, so you can meet your tutor." I give her a small smile of thanks and rush out of the room, wiping my eyes dry. I have to try harder. I have to.

••••

I head into Ms Norbury's class, slowing upon seeing a certain redhead waiting at her desk, her eyes focused on the ceiling. She looks down, then grins as she sees me. She rushes up to me.

"I'm Cady-"

"-Heron," I finish. I stammer. "I mean, I know who you are. Sorry, that was a weird way to express that." She smiles.

"Oh, no worries," she says easily. "I heard you needed a tutor, so..." She does jazz hands.

"... Wait, you're my tutor?" She nods.

"Yeah!" I swallow. Cady Heron is new this year. She sits across the room from me in Ms Norbury's class. Whenever she smiles, I feel a flutter in my chest. She seems to answer a lot of questions. And they're always right. Holy hell, I'm staring at her right now. I look away, hoping my blush isn't too severe. I think she's into Aaron Samuels, though, considering how much she talks to him in class. My heart sinks slightly. Awesome. My new, extremely cute tutor is into my ex-boyfriend. A sound at the door draws our attention.

"I see you're already getting acquainted," Ms Norbury says. I manage a smile. Cady nods. "Well, that's good. Just arrange some time to get together, then." I glance at Cady. She pulls out a pen, grabbing my hand in both of hers. I flinch.

"Sorry! Here, let me give you my number." She writes down a phone number on my wrist, punctuating it with a smiley face and her name. I look down at it. Why the hell was that so unbelievably adorable? I turn my gaze to her.