Cute || Heather McNamara

Warnings: None.

Summary: Heather and her friends visit an animal shelter to see all the cute animals. To her delight, she finds an equally cute worker, as well.

(This starts in Heather's POV just sayin)

___________________________________

I grab Duke's arm and pull her towards the door, much to her complaint. She wrenches her hand away.

"Sweet fuck, I'm already here, Heather!" She says, annoyed. I grin.

"Aw, come on. The animals are adorable." She rolls her eyes.

"They shit and piss everywhere! That's adorable?" She demands. Veronica pushes open the door, not quite as excited as I am, but much more enthusiastic than Duke or Chandler. I make a beeline inside, dragging Veronica along.

"Look at them!" I coo at the puppies in the window. Veronica crouches beside me, looking down at a black speckled pup.

"This one's adorable," she says, watching it paw at the screen. "Aw. Look at him. Hey, little guy..." She puts her finger to the window. The puppy attacks the window, trying to paw at her finger. She grins. "He's so adorable."

"It's a her, actually." I jump, whirling around. My mouth falls open before I remember I'm in public. "Cute, hm?"

"You sure are," I blurt out.

"Pardon?" I stammer.

"Wh- Nothing!" I read the name on her nametag. Y/n. She gives me a friendly smile. Veronica stands up straight.

"What's her name? The puppy?"

"Pepper. Because... Well, I think you can figure out why. Excuse me, I need to do a bit of a check-up on her." We step out of her way. "Thanks." Veronica pulls me aside, her voice lowered.

"'You sure are'? Rip her clothes off, why don't you?" I blush hard, shifting my feet.

"I-I didn't mean to! She's..." I look over her shoulder at the girl, who's lifted the puppy from the locked cage and is now rubbing the puppy's nose. "She is cute," I sigh. Veronica snaps her fingers in front of my face.

"Earth to Heather! Ask her out!" She looks back at the worker. "Please?"

"... No." I walk past her, looking down at the dogs.

"Want to hold her?" I glance to my side, finding y/n standing by, holding Pepper.

"Can I?" I ask, getting excited. She nods, smiling wide.

"She's a little excitable, so be careful. Here. Hold out your arms for me." I do as she says. She steps closer, making my face burn. I swallow as her hands brush my arms, making sure I'm holding the dog right. "She likes you." I giggle softly as Pepper licks my face, jumping up in excitement. Her tail wags and she barks.

"She's adorable. How old is she?"

"Few months." I look past her to find Veronica talking to the others, motioning to me. "I'm y/n, by the way. But- I mean, I guess you could figure that out. Y'know. Name tag and all." I smile. "Y/n l/n."

"I'm Heather McNamara." She nods.

"Pretty name." I focus on Pepper, since y/n's proximity and compliment is making me way more flustered than I need to be.

"Is, um, is she up for adoption?" I ask, desperate for a subject change. She shakes her head.

"Not yet. She was really sickly when we took her in, and we want to make sure she's healthy before finding her a home. Are you looking for a dog? I'd be happy to show you a few that are available, if you are."

"Oh, no. I was just wondering." I rub Pepper's nose, smiling as she licks my fingers. "I actually wanted to just... Look at all the cute animals." She grins and takes back the puppy, who paws at her chest.

"Yeah. We have a surplus of those here."

"Cute workers, too," I say before I can stop myself. She looks around, then points at herself.

"Are you calling me cute?" She raises an eyebrow, starting to smile as I blush. I can't figure out who I'm more captivated by, the girl or the puppy.

"Um..." I trail off. "Yeah." She smiles, rubbing Pepper behind the ears.

"Well, Heather, I'm glad you think so. You're pretty cute yourself." I rub my neck.

"Thanks," I say weakly. She locks the cage and puts the keys in her pocket. She motions to the back of the store, where a customer waits at the counter.

"I have to get back to work but..." She pulls out a pen from her pocket and holds out her hand, tapping her forearm. "No scrap paper. Would you mind writing your number just here?" I blink.

"Uh- Yeah. Sure." I take the pen with a shaky hand and write my phone number on her forearm. She smiles as she looks at it.

"Thanks. My friends are bothering me about dating, and now I can show them that I am trying, at least." She takes the pen and clicks it. "Though I wouldn't complain if I was dating you." I nod.

"I wouldn't either." She grins.

"I'll call you or something when my shift's over, okay?"

"Yeah, I'd like that a lot."

"See you." She hurries to the back of the store. "Sorry for making you wait. How can I help you today?" She asks the customer. I smile like an idiot.

"Hello?" I blink and turn. "You're head over heels," Chandler says. I laugh giddily.

"She asked for my number."

"Careful, Heather, your gay is showing," Veronica teases. I push her playfully. "You came to see the cute puppies and found a cute girl instead."

"She is, huh?" The customer leaves the store.

"Hey, worker girl!" Duke calls out. Y/n flinches, looking up.

"You're in my class," she blurts out, staring at Duke. "You guys go to university down the street, right?" Chandler nods, walking towards her. I hurry after her.

"Wait- Heather, don't do this again!" I say.

"If you ever, and I mean ever hurt Mac, I will rip your heart out while it's still beating and make you eat it," she growls. "And now I know how I can find you." I clear my throat.

"That's not necessary," I say quickly, taking her by the arm. I give her a push away from the counter and turn back to y/n.

"Woah. Intense."

"I'm really sorry about that, the last guy I dated wasn't very good, so now they're all defensive." She blinks, then laughs lightly.

"I'd better not screw it up, then. I don't have an appetite for my own beating heart." I giggle.

"I sure hope you don't. I think I like your heart right where it is."

"I do, too." I find myself gazing at her for a bit.

"Oh, come on, you useless shit! You're extra gay today!" I blush at Chandler's teasing.

"I'm gonna go now." Y/n nods.

"Of course. I'll call or text later, around six, maybe. That's when I'm off." I nod.

"Please do." I turn around and head to the door with my friends, leaving her alone.

"So... When's the wedding?" Veronica asks as we walk away. My face goes hot.

"Veronica!"

°°°

I watch the girl leave the store, her friends glaring at me as they leave. She looks at me through the window and waves. I wave back. Her friends scare me a bit, but I really like her. I walk over to Pepper's cage.

"Thanks," I say to the puppy. She paws the window. "I might have just gotten a date because of you." She whines, begging for attention. I unlock the cage and rub her head, letting her attack my hand with her paws and little bites.

I hope Heather's friends think I'm good for her.

A/N: I love Heather Macaroni I mean Macarena I mean Macintosh I mean-