Prom? || Karen Smith

Requested by: msntc9

Warnings: None.

Summary: Y/n l/n is trying to ask her best friend to the prom, and is hoping they could go as a little more than just friends.

___________________________

"How hard can it be? Honestly." I glance at Regina.

"Very." She scoffs.

"Come on. Karen's nice, you know that."

"Yeah, but I've never done anything like this." Gretchen gives me a sympathetic smile, patting my shoulder gently.

"I know you can do it."

"I don't," I say shortly. Regina rolls her eyes.

"It's simple, really. Don't freak out so much." I glare at her.

"It's not simple. Believe me, if it really was, I would have already done it by now." She laughs.

"Fair enough. You're super awkward around her, I always forget that." I sigh.

"Yeah. I know."

"Pft. It's super obvious."

"I know," I repeat. I rest my head on the table. "I know, Regina. Believe me." Gretchen gently nudges me.

"It's not that bad, really." I glance up at her, giving her a look. "I-I mean, you know... Uh..." She trails off.

"Yeah, I thought so." When Gretchen can't even think of anything to say to make me feel better, I know it's bad. I put my head down on the table again.

"Is she okay?" I flinch, lifting my head quickly.

"Karen! Hey, no, I'm fine!" Every word that comes out of my mouth is like a punch to the gut. Has it always been this warm in here? Regina elbows me.

"Cool it," she mutters, before turning to Karen. "I think y/n is just a little off today. Don't worry."

"Okay. Good." Karen sits across from me. I feel my heart flutter. A smile melts onto my face.

"Y/n!" Regina says.

"B- Huh- Yes! I'm listening!" I stammer, looking at her. She gives me a look.

"Anyway, as I was saying." She looks over at Karen. "Prom night is coming up, you guys. Anyone ask you out yet?"

"Lots," Karen says simply. I feel a twinge of jealousy in my gut. That those guys were brave enough to ask her to the prom, while I sit here, useless and barely able to say a word to her. All I can do is stutter and blush like a fool.

Y/n l/n, gay disaster. That's all I am.

"Cool," I manage to say. I wonder if Regina and Gretchen can see how pained I am to have this conversation. I wonder if Karen could see it, too. Hell, I wonder if the entire school could see it.

"Did you accept any of them?" Gretchen pipes up.

"Hm... Nope!" Karen says. "I'm waiting for the right person." The right person...? Regina stomps on my foot.

"Ow!" I yelp. Karen suddenly looks at me.

"Y/n? You okay?"

"I'm fine," I say, glaring at Regina.

"Did some ghosts attack you or something?" Karen asks. I force a laugh.

"Yeah. Ghosts." I give Regina a sideways glance. "Or someone who will be a ghost soon enough if they don't stop." She smiles, shrugging innocently.