Both...? || Cady Heron / Janis Sarkisian

Requested by: Beetlepuff

Warnings: None.

Summary: Y/n finds herself smitten with the new girl, but notices the tension in her friendship with Janis.

______________________

As I step into the cafeteria, I notice a new girl sitting at my table. I walk over, trying to figure out who she is.

"Boo," I say, smacking the back of Janis' head.

"Ow...," she mutters, glancing back at me. I give her a sickly sweet smile.

"Oops." I slide into the seat beside her, then look over at the newbie. "Hey there. Who might you be?" She holds out a hand to shake.

"I'm Cady. I'm new here." I shake her hand.

"Hello, Cady. I'm y/n. Pleasure to meet you." I examine her. "You're cute." She blinks. Her cheeks flush slightly.

"Oh, um, thanks." I grin.

"Kinda random, y/n," Damian says from beside Cady. I shrug.

"Just making an observation." I glance over at Janis, noticing her scowl. "What's wrong, Jan?" She twitches, then meets my eyes.

"... Nothing." I've known her for long enough to know that that's a huge lie. Something's wrong. I sigh. I guess I'll drop it for now.

"Alright." I look back at Cady. "So, where are you from?"

"Africa."

"Africa? That's crazy." I smile. "What's it like back there?"

"Way different from here."

"Oh, I'll bet." She just keeps on getting more intriguing. "Tell me more."

"Well... The sky was always so pretty at night. There's animals everywhere, and they're like, my friends, I guess, and..." She keeps on talking, and I listen to everything she has to say. It's so interesting. She's so interesting. And cute.

"Sounds like a great place."

"It was. But I wanted to try out regular high school."

"Normal high school is... Exciting, let's just say. I can show you around if-"

"We're already doing that, y/n," Janis interjects. I look over at her. She looks kinda mad. I purse my lips, focusing on my hands.

"Oh. Okay." The tension at the table now is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I swallow. "... Sorry."

"Whatever." I stare at her. "Drop it." I mean, I know Janis can be a little cold at times, but that was almost hostile. Maybe I need to talk to her later.

"Anyway...," Damian begins, clearing his throat. "Lunch is almost over. Wanna drop off stuff at lockers and such?" I nod, standing up.

"I'll, uh, meet you guys later probably." I nod at Cady. "See you around, Cady."

"You're not coming with us?"

"I dunno." I shift my weight from one foot to the other. "I gotta do stuff. For... Class." I turn and walk away. The table was off today. Maybe it's just that Cady was there. I don't know. It was a lot more tense than usual, and I hate it. We're all friends. Right?

I mean, I'm trying to stay friends with Janis. This year, I've started to notice some weird thing between us, but I can't put a finger on it. I just know that something changed.

What changed?

••••

As I walk into my classroom, I notice Damian fixated on me. I walk over.