You're the One I Choose || Veronica Sawyer

Yes I made another one for Veronica because I love her (this is shorter than the first one so ye)

Warnings: Slight angst.

Summary: Y/n hear talk about her current relationship with the new Heather. Unfortunately, none of it is good.

_____________________

I sit down against the wall. Why am I letting those stupid girls get to me? I feel tears in my eyes, threatening to spill. I wipe them away quickly. I'm so fucking weak that it's frustrating. I lean my head on the wall.

"She's nothing special, huh?"

"Yeah. Wonder why she'd wanna date her."

"I bet it's some fling."

"Oh, definitely. They'll barely last another few weeks."

I swallow hard, the conversation replaying over and over again. Before long, I feel hot tears rolling down my cheeks, a lump in my throat that I can't get rid of. I hug my knees to my chest, silently sobbing.

"Maybe the Heathers put her up to it."

"What, like a dare? Now that you mention it... Maybe it was. It kinda makes sense."

"This is getting interesting."

I bury my face in my arms, the words seeming to tear into me, targeting my worst fears and insecurities like wolves closing in on their prey. I shiver. What if they're right? What if Veronica doesn't really care about me? I sob into my sleeves.

"Y/n, where are you?" I fall silent. "Hello...?" I don't reply. I don't want her to see me crying over something so stupid and insignificant. "Oh, there you are. Why didn't you come to the table?" I slowly lift my head.

"It's, um, nothing, Veronica," I say, trying to keep my voice light. Her eyes widen.

"Are you crying?" I frantically wipe away the tears, shaking my head.

"No! No, of course not." I laugh shakily. "Why would I be crying?" She sits beside me.

"Y/n."

"Yes?"

"Tell me what's wrong." I look away. I don't want to tell her the reason why I'm crying. She'll think it's stupid.

"Nothing's wrong." I avoid her eyes. She sighs, leaning on the wall. We don't talk for a while.

"Please talk to me." I look at her. She silently pleads with me. It's not a command. It's an invitation. I look down.

"It's nothing, Veronica. I swear." She purses her lips. "I'm serious." She takes my hands. I take a deep breath.

"Tell me what's wrong, y/n." I feel that familiar rush. Like I'm about to cry again. I swallow hard.

"... I overhead some people in the washroom earlier," I say finally, a small quiver in my voice. Her eyes instantly narrow.

"Were they making fun of you?" I shake my head.

"No. No, it's not that." I look up at the sky. "They were talking about us. And then they were asking why you'd want to be with me, and guessing how much longer our relationship would last." I pause. "Not... Not very long, according to them."

"Oh, y/n..."

"I know. I know. It's... It's a really stupid thing to cry over. I just..." She squeezes my hand tight.

"Don't listen to them, okay?" I look down.

"It's hard not to," I say quietly. I sigh. "Why am I crying over it? It's stupid, isn't it?" She pulls me closer.

"Hey, don't do that." She hugs me tight.

"I-I just..." I look down. "Why are you with me, Veronica? You could be with anyone else. So why did you pick me?"

"Y/n..."

"You're you. You're amazing and beautiful and smart, and I'm just... Me." She gently grabs my face in both hands, making me meet her eyes. I look down. "You deserve so much better than me."

"Look at me, y/n." I slowly raise my eyes to meet hers. "I'm with you because you're you." She gently runs her thumbs across my cheeks.

"But-" She cuts me off with a kiss, pulling closer. I close my eyes. Her lips leave mine. I look into her eyes. "Veronica..."

"I'm with you because you're witty and funny and so, so damn gorgeous. You're brave enough to stand up for what you believe in. You never let me doubt myself." She laughs softly. "Honestly, y/n. I could go on for days."

"Yeah, but..." She sighs, then starts to pepper soft, gentle kisses all over my face. I start to giggle, making her grin and kiss me a little quicker.

"Okay. Okay, okay," I squeeze between giggles. She pulls back, smiling.

"Do you believe me now?" I rub my neck.

"Well..." She gives me another round of kisses until I burst into another fit of laughter. "Yes. Yeah," I say with a grin. She plants one final kiss on the tip of my nose.

"Good." I put my hands over hers.

"You're way too good for this world, Ronnie." I press a kiss to her lips. "How the hell did I manage to reel you in?" She laughs quietly.

"Because you taste so good." My cheeks flush. I bury my face in her shoulder.

"Just shut up already..." She wraps an arm around my waist.

"Aw. You know you love it." I sigh.

"... I do," I mumble. She kisses the top of my head.

"Mhm. I know." She hugs me tighter. "Besides, that joke was great. Don't pretend like you didn't set yourself up for that." I roll my eyes.

"We should head in, the others are probably wondering where we are." I stand up. She grabs my hand, laughing.

"Not when you look like that."

"... Like what?"

"You're covered in kiss marks." I blink, then pull my sleeve over my hand, wiping the spots on my face where I feel the slight stickiness of her lip gloss.

"Your fault."

A/N: I LOVE SOFT VERONICA